Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K&N air filter anyone believe they are better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&N air filter anyone believe they are better?

Anyone believe that hey are better i mean i know they are reusable but about the more airflow and all...I do have one thou who else does?
    The Best
    Past and Present Any Questions...................

A lot of people stand by them, and they give you solid 1/10th of a hp (maybe more). But personaly I have heard too many stories of my Dad having to replave an engine at 80,000 miles because they got dirty inside.

Just last month a guy with an F-250 super duty came in because his truck was making poor compression. Every cylinder was wasted, and so was the turbo. At 93,000 miles. Those motors typicaly run over 500,000 miles in cab over trucks. Ford declined his warranty claim because the K&N filter let the dirt past, and therefore is not covered under warranty.

For my 75cents, STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THEM!!

Comment

Damn thats crazy..I goin try a regular one that i have and ride with that for a while..
      The Best
      Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

i had a set on my camaro with the dual tpi style airbox

i will NEVER run a k&n on my cars again. the oil from the filter even when coated lightly gets on your MAF and screws them up. had to limp home more than once from this. MAFs are 400$ for my car now, luckily compressed air and going back to paper filters solved the problem.

Comment

K&N is like 50 bux. Fram filter at walmart is 4.28. Those bitches jacked up the prices $.31 a filter. So i just go to walmart. The power doesnt justify the cost.
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

i will NEVER run a k&n on my cars again. the oil from the filter even when coated lightly gets on your MAF and screws them up. had to limp home more than once from this. MAFs are 400$ for my car now, luckily compressed air and going back to paper filters solved the problem.
            Even more of a reason to go carbed :banana:

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

They arent that good for EFI/MAF cars, because the MAF vanes get clogged with the oil from the filter.

That is all.
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

so us carb guys are allright?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

That's right, us carb guys are fucking awesome!!!
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Yes, us carb guys are awesome

When the new motor is in teh merk, im gonna run a 4" high K&N and XStream lid for all you EFI bleeding hearts.

Comment

Well, that's the price of having a better more efficient, and powerfull system. Us EFI guys just cant use crappy jerry rigged filters.

And for those of you that are slack about oiling them, you better not use it no matter if you have a carb or not. A dry K&N is as good as a single piece of cheese clotch. And the dirt will tear your engine up. Keep it oiled and it will work great, otherwise get a paper filter.

Comment

I promote the use of K&N.

So eat that shit.

Comment

Well for my money, I'll take a filter that does the job of a filter. If you really are that worried about a filter stopping your intake, then just take it off. Oh but wait that would be silly....I wonder how a K&N gets more air through????? Could it be that it is less of a filter...hmmmmmm

Something to consider when you build a $7,000 engine and then pay to let all the dirt ruin it.

I'd almost say this could go in the Teh Battlefield hahaha

Comment

Ill keep my carb and el cheapo filters. Even if i do have to buy more. When i destroy a k&n in 500 miles i dont think theyll let me get a new one under warranty. Plus you gotta buy oil for em. Too much effort and cost. Screw fillet my engine filters
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS
                            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I had oiled filters on my VW and hated them. Had to wash them and soak them in motor oil (per instructions) at every oil change. It was just a pain in the ass, but I couldn't get paper filters for the dual carb setup I ran on that engine. The 68's oil bath air cleaner rocked tho. drain 1/2 quart of oil out of it, put 2.5 in the motor, .5 in the air cleaner and you were done.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X