Timing off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing off?

I just got my timing set replaced and i don't know if they set the timing right.when they first did it, i told the guy to disconnect the spout connector and he told me that that wasn't necessary.(mind you this guy didnt speak english very well)so he set it to what he thought was "right" and the car wouldn't accelerate for crap.it would shift hard into 2nd at like 35 at WOT, before it wouldn't shift to 2nd UNTIL 45.It also takes a lot longer than it used to.other than these issues the car idled fine and didn't rattle.Its been about a week since i had them replace the set.so today I stopped at a stop sign and accelerate and i notice that when i first start to accelerate the car rattles like the chain is loose, but it goes away when it gets higher up in RPM.It also does it more under load like going up hills or holding the brake and hitting the gas a little.
    could this be because he didn't disconnect the spout?I disconnected it and started the car and it didn't like that at all, so I believe he didn't set it right.
    would really like you guys input because im talking the car back to the shop tomorrow and i need something to throw at the mechanic.(other than the fact that the fan shroud says specifically to disconnect it)
    Last edited by Jonsey; 03-03-2009, 01:20 AM.
    sigpic-The Crown(Kodiak)1989,150K Miles,5.0LOpo,autolamps,slicktop,power windows and locks,yet still not good enough to be LX:confused:

so you had the timing chain/gears replaced?

did it break or were you having issues that you thought warrented this replacment?

and whats a "spout"? something on the later distributers im not famiular with?
    1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

no it didn't break, the the cover had developed a leak and i wanted it fixed so they replaced it all.the spout is the little black connector on the distributor that people on the forums have said to disconnect for your timing to be right.another question:when i disconnected the spout is the car supposed to run crappy?because it idled erratically and when i tapped the gas it shaked but revved.when i reconnected the spout it was ok, besides the rattle under light load and acceleration.so should it be fine without the spout as well?
      Last edited by Jonsey; 03-03-2009, 01:50 AM.
      sigpic-The Crown(Kodiak)1989,150K Miles,5.0LOpo,autolamps,slicktop,power windows and locks,yet still not good enough to be LX:confused:

Comment

if he aligned the timing marks on the gear set and bolted it up you should have been good to go?
        1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

well its not good anymore, at least i dont like the clatter from whatever it is.I just think he didnt set it right.
          Last edited by Jonsey; 03-03-2009, 02:02 AM.

Comment

you HAVE TO HAVE THE SPOUT OUT! No if, ands, or buts about it.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

that's exactly what i thought.so i got to make him do it with it off.ill have a talk with his boss tomorrow about it and make sure its done right.So could that be the reason its running like this?

Comment

If he marked everything properly it should have been the same or close to the same timing as before.

To check the timing the spout must be removed. Im guessing he might of installed the timing chain and never confirmed its timed correctly.
                Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

get yourself a timing light and check it yourself. It's very easy to do, and you won't ever get screwed by someone elses stupidity ever again.
                  In the worse case scenario, he could have installed the gears one tooth off. That's easy to do if you are in a hurry, or don't really care what you are doing.
                  1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                  1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
                  1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Ok i believe i figured it out.i looked at the marking he made and he put it on 0.if he set it correctly shouldn't his mark be on 10BTDC as well?if so,he set it off and im going to fix it myself.a quick answer to this one would be much appreciated cuz now i got to go buy a timing light
                    Last edited by Jonsey; 03-03-2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

set it 10*-12* for timing... remember to have the spout pulled out...

Originally posted by RunUoveR View Post
                      and whats a "spout"? something on the later distributers im not famiular with?
                      spout is a lil jumper looking type plug the size of double stacked chicklet that has a plastic looking "T" on it connected to the distributor. it controls the computer of the car advancing the timing itself. your car has it ...
                      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

ok i set it at 10* with the spout disconnected and it ran fine under load and everything.Once i reconnected the spout and checked the timing again it had advanced and the rattle was still there under load.did i do something wrong?Also, the paper on the fan shoud says to set in with the auto trans in "D".does that mean drive?
                        Last edited by Jonsey; 03-03-2009, 02:08 PM.

Comment

sorry to post twice.I adjusted the distributor until the car didnt rattle under load.it seems fine.Should I run higher octane gas or something?

Comment

Here is how i did it. Get under the car or over were ever is easy for you to mark the timing marks on the balancer, and mark it on 10* btdc which is stock, and then mark on 12* or somthing like that if you want to advance it. Then with the car turned off and the key completly off. Remove the spout. Then loosen your dizzy hold down, but not all the way just enough so as it is easy for you to turn. Connect your timing light, then start the car. I set my timing in Park so i dunno about the D thing mine works great. OK now get were you can shine the light on the timing marks and turn your dizzy until the timing pointer lines up with the 10* or 12* mark you have made which ever you choose, then turn off the car and the key completly. Now tighten your dizzy back down, and plug the spout back in. Now start the car up and shine the timing light at the pointer again. If done correctly the marks should have moved, you might not even be able to seen them now. All of this is also much easier if you have a friend to turn on and turn off the car for you.

If this does not fix your rattle this way, then it could be the timing chain, or your valves may need adjusted, or maybe its one tooth off like previously said. Just my input hope it helps.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

If you at or below stock timing there is no need for anything more than 87 octane

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                              Big plans

Comment

Working...
                              X