Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 efi starts then dies

Yo,

I think I got a problem that I can't seem to figure out on my own.

I got a 1990 EFI that starts but then dies a second or two later. When I start her up agian she starts up but with a struggling idle but after a minute or two she idles kind of ok. I've checked for loose wires and loose tubes and all appears to be normal.

Things I've done to her before this problem occured:
    changed spark plugs with autolights, changed wires distributer&rotor, airfilter, fuelfilter, changed O2 sensor (driver side), Thermostat to a superstant 195degree and got the car timed 10 degrees before top dead center (mechanic did it for 10 bucks).

Now when I changed the thermostat and brought the old one to Kragen to get a exact replacement the guy told me that the old one was the wrong kind to have in the car. Keep in mind that I didn't know since I bought the car 4 weeks ago. The guy gave me the one that he recommended and I slaped it in. Now the car runs kind of slugish as if i was dragging a Piano or two on the free way but thats another issue for another thread.

Any advice would be very helpfull
    Another thing
    Any one think it's worth buying a code reader for the 1990 Crown Vic for $40. The guy at kragen was pushing me to buy one but I think he may be bull Shiten me
    1990 EFI Crown Vic Lx sigpic
    1964 Lincoln Continental (not running)
    1963 Lincoln Continental (running)
    1995 Honda Accord(Stolen)

No on the code reader. And tell that parts store guy to buzz off because he's trying to rip you off. http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13 tells you how to do it for free, you have a check engine light (which is supposed to light up if there is a code).

Do you have the part number of that thermostat? You need a 192 or 195 degree. Try a Motorcraft RT1139. Make sure you get it in there straight or it might crack the thermostat housing.

Check for vacuum leaks. There's all kinds of vacuum hoses on a vacuum tree on the firewall. You can start under the upper intake and go from there.

Does it idle funky all the time or just when you start it?
    1990 Country Squire - under restoration
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Has the fuel filter been replaced? What about the air filter? No dead birds, cats, or missing children in the air intake? (don't laugh, I've heard stories of dead rodents causing this)
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by ald872000 View Post
        autolights
        Autolites suck. The Chinese ones at least. Best plugs for our cars is good ol' made in Mexico Motorcraft plugs. Don't laugh, I'm serious, the motorcraft ones are great, and cheap to boot.

Anyway,
        Is the idling problem happening at first start up?

Comment

x2 on the crappy chineese autolites......they used to be good spark plugs

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

You may also want to check out the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) They tend to get gummed up after awhile and I have replaced a fair number of them over the years when i was working at the Ford/Linc/Merc shops. They can cause idleing issues.
            Current stable:
            1984 Ford LTD Crown Vic
            1994 GMC Jimmy 4x4
            1972 Volkswagen Camper Bus
            2000 Ford Windstar

Comment

yeah give the IAC a few taps with something and see if it helps...
              can you get it to keep running / run better by feathering the gas?
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I thought that kragen fella was bull shiting me about that code reader.

All filters were replaced with 'Fram' parts. She has this problem only when I start her up. But when I get her up and going or drive in normal conditions in stop and go traffic she idles just fine.

But she did it agian this morning . I started her up with a very easy twist of the key (started strong) then she died within 2 seconds. I started her up a second time and she ran with a loopy idle (sounds like its trying to slowly choke her self) for 10 to 20 seconds and then goes to normal. This problem only happens in the morning and when the car sits (turned off) for 2 to 3 hours. This morning when she died the check engine light came on, but when I started her up on the second time the light didn't show and I got that funky idle.

A question I have is, Is the PCM going into safemode when the idle is loopy for the first 10 to 20 seconds? I have been getting 15 miles to the gallon so i'm not sure if its a sensor issue

Comment

Originally posted by ald872000 View Post
                  I have been getting 15 miles to the gallon so i'm not sure if its a sensor issue
                  As opposed to what? Vicky averages around 17 city, and like 23 highway. Run a code scan with your check engine light with the link Tiggie gave. Even if the light is not on, the computer stores trouble codes for later.

Comment

try replacing the ACT and/or the ECT sensors.

15mpg? I get that with a lead foot and a 300 HP wagon. It's possible it's a sensor issue.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

shit... I get 15 all around city and high way and I got a stock motor... and I drive around like an old lady cause she's sucken down gas

not good

The sensors you mentioned, where are they at

Comment

intake manifold...I think there is a sensor diagram around somewhere....
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                        X