Trying Upgrading....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying Upgrading....

Ok guys here is what I'm looking to know. I'm pretty new to owning a car, some of you may have seen my original post about buying my first car. I do know my way around a car since my father has been working on them forever and I have been helping him while he teaches me the art. Anyway I have an '88 Grand Marquis and I have always loved the body style of the older "boxes". I am going to be stripping the body and fixing the little rust it has and the few dents it has aquired over the years. after all of this it will be freshly painted... laudy da. On to my main question. the 302 in the car now runs strong but it is getting old. It has just about 170,000 mile on it (I know this isn't much for a well maintained 302 but work with me.) Now what I am trying to do is find a 5.8 liter out of a Bronco (E-van or F-truck would do as well) and do some modifications. I'm looking to do a few simple things but I'm looking for ideas and your suggestions on what are good upgrades for that motor, I'm asuming Headers, true dual exhaust, a better intake....What would be a good suggestion on a tranny? I'm not made of money nor do I have tons to throw around but a manual transmission would be awsome, but a newer autimatic would soot me just fine. If you guys could hook me up with some links to some parts or just tell me the parts that you suggest that would be great. I'm shooting to get about 300 horses, but my main concern is a transmission and a motor.

Thanks in advanced, Dave

Oh also if anyone runs across a 5.8 online or even in your area for a decent price let me know.
    Resident diesel addict

Hehehehe im converting to a manual, but it isnt gonna be cheap.

A newer AOD would be good for your tastes...with a shift kit...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Uhhh, why don't you try and find the 5.8L in a Crown Vic???? They came in most of the cop cars in the early 80s to 91s.

Oh and for your tranny, it would be a good idea to just through a shift kit at it and go on. That's a cheap quick upgrade!

Comment

a 351 roller out of a newer truck/van would be ideal.......the truck efi intakes are way to tall to use...........go with an aftermarket manifold for a 351w.........a mass air computer setup will be mostlikely needed also........hood clearance might also be a problem also

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Well before I came back I was looking at some magazines and I was thinking maybe instead of a 5.8 I'll try and find myself a HO5.0 from a mustang or something. I do realize p72 crown vics had the 5.8, I just didn't include it.
          Resident diesel addict

Comment

Several people have converted to 5.0 HO, and are pleased.
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

"No replacement for displacement". 357ci of nitrous swallowing windsor<----
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

check www.corral.net for a used 5.0 ho in your area they usually go cheap

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

im going with a ho from a mustang rather than a 5.8, its what i would reccomend. but if you can get a 5.8 cheap then go for it.

Comment

Ok thanks guys. The search will continue....
                    Resident diesel addict

Comment

Now i may be the only who would prefer a lo po to a ho. I like the sound better and id just swap the intake and head with a stock rebuild and do exhaust and be done with it. The stock cam in the car puts out a lot down low. I have a lo po in my capri and i can take an ho off the line but i dont have much on high rpm. I just prefer tire melting power. Or put an offroad 351 cam in it for good low end. Just have to get the ho ecm and rewire the distributor
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS
                      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I sort of have to agree with the HO not having quite as much low end grunt as I'd like. I don't really feel that my HO has any more takeoff power than the beat old motor, but it really has a hell of a lot more power over 3k rpm. With a big heavy car like this you really want that low end torque, not the high end scream.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

From 60' to 1320, an HO will cover a lopo 302. Don't give it a second thought.

Comment

Working...
                          X