residue/film at egr valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

residue/film at egr valve

i've noticed a residue/film on and around where the egr valve bolts to the manifold.

just time for a new gasket or a prelude to something bigger?

thanks, Bill
    s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/brokebill/
    "Ain't we gonna bury him ?"
    "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms."
    ----outlaw josey wales
    (88 LTD Crown Vic LX-Ruby)

We need pictures.

Comment

sorry, can't get pics right now.

just an oily , damp film where the gasket mates.

not a heavy, greasy film, just kind of a light film.

thanks, Bill
      ----outlaw josey wales

Comment

Probably could stand a new gasket. Might also be the egr to upper intake gasket leaking, if thats blown on the outside, it will leak exhaust right there. I'd actually consider replacing all of the gaskets in the area, and making sure the pcv system is working so that you're not getting oily slime sucked through that vent tube into the throttle body.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

to avoid coolant being sucked into the intake, bypass the hoses to the EGR spacer
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Might also be the egr to upper intake gasket leaking, if thats blown on the outside, it will leak exhaust right there.
            i believe thats it.
            any tips on safely cleaning the egr valve while its off for the gasket change?

I'd actually consider replacing all of the gaskets in the area, and making sure the pcv system is working so that you're not getting oily slime sucked through that vent tube into the throttle body.
            yeah, its been several years since i last did the pcv valve/screen so its due anyhow.

thanks, Bill
            ----outlaw josey wales

Comment

be best to remove the EGR unit from the spacer and remove the throttle body and EGR spacer to clean up good... when reassembling, install the new gaskets... to clean use brake cleaner or carb cleaner while its off to get the carbon deposits cleaned out.

Comment

spacer?

i've never had the egr valve off before so you'll have to overlook me.

looks like the egr just bolts to the intake directly. i don't see a spacer.

also my egr valve is the type without the external pipe running to the exhaust manifold if that makes a difference.

thanks, Bill
                ----outlaw josey wales

Comment

upper intake consists of...

throttle body that has the IAC bolted on backside and the TPS on top
                  EGR spacer that the EGR is bolted to the front of and 2 coolant lines off the back stacked over each other
                  and then the upper intake/plenum

the upper intake/plenum has the threaded rod sticking out that the EGR slides onto, then the throttlebody. they are held on the rods with 1/2 inch nuts.

Comment

thanks, i found a good diagram of the area so i see what youre talking about.

the egr valve gasket is the one leaking but i need to change all 4 gaskets in the area.

are the felpro gaskets good enough replacements or do any of them need oem gaskets?

thanks, Bill
                    ----outlaw josey wales

Comment

OEM is actually FelPro. I've seen the FelPro logo stamped on original Ford gaskets more than once.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                      X