warm weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

warm weather

Hey, I'm a big reader but not much of a poster, but I have to ask...

Is it terribly odd that I've noticed my 85 (mostly stock) CV runs WAY better when it's really cold? In pretty much any type of driving, I noticed over the past few months that if it's below 15* F, she runs significantly stronger. It's mostly in top-end acceleration, but it's just all-around engine performance. It's even noticeable when the temp kicks up into the 30's and 40's and I lose a little bit of the cold-weather-only boost, and I have a brandy new cooling system. Water pump, radiator, coolant temp sensor are all under a year old with under 10k miles on them. I doesn't sound or feel different, and it's not an issue of letting it warm up sufficiently, since I always do that.

Was just curious if anyone else experiences this.

-Tommy
    Last edited by fairplay; 02-03-2009, 04:28 PM.

Similar to you, my 87 CV feels like a monsta!! just starting up in the morning when the engine is cold as well as the weather. I punch the throttle and am surprised at the power I feel, but once the engine heats up it is like a different beast. Just not the same feeling.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The car runs richer when warming up. Once it warms up, it looses that 'extra power' of which you speak.

Comment

Cold air is more dense, and makes for more horsepower.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I knew colder air's density would increase HP, but never thought of it as making enough to actually notice in driving it.
          If that truly is all it is, I can see why it seems like everyone does CAI's.

Comment

Well it has a lot to do with the richness as John mentioned.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

My Towncar ran noticeably better in cooler weather with the stock cold air intake. The hot air setup I have now eats some of the performance. Its more noticeable in the summer though.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What would happen if we had a race against warmed up mustang and a cold vic?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  What would happen if we had a race against warmed up mustang and a cold vic?
                  Well if it was a stock 4-banger Mustang (no turbo GT's or SVO's please), it might be pretty close!
                  1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                  X