No announcement yet.

simple exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you want cheap and relatively quiet right?
    i have installed many exhaust systems
    quietest is stock dual exhaust with cats and with summit turbos (20 ea) or thrush turbos (25 ea)
    flowmasters are only gonna hurt your budget......their patent long expired......i like the knockoff better (summit welded turbo, thrush welded turbo, pro force not a one over 35 bucks ea)

they get loud when you remove the cats

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

ya screw flowmasters. theyre like the "nike" of exhaust. your just paying for the name...

i do want to keep it legal and my intention is not to make it sound like a full out muscle car, just make it sound like it had a little bit of balls to it

and im not trying to invest a load of money into it either. a <$50 muffler that will bolt up in the stock location and achieve the desired audio effect would be perfect
      1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

the stock mufflers are kinda long and have the hangers built in
        any 2" ofset ofset muffler will work for the stock exhaust, you will need some extension pipe and make up a bracket to hang the pipe off the hangers or use new hangers.....it's not rocket science lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

I wasn't sure if turbo mufflers would have the sound he's looking for or not, they were relatively very quiet when I had them on mine, and that's all I was running. No cats, just a pair of turbo mufflers.

But I've also never heard them on a car with cats, lol. I'm sure they still have a better sound quality.
          1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
          1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
          1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

I rather enjoyed my wagon when I had a pair of Cherry Bomb Turbo IIs under it along with the stock manifolds and cats.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

the mufflers i installed on my towny in 98 when i bought it and i worked at meineke were the cherry bomb turbos......i built my own cat back and h pipe out of 2.25" pipe (the h pipe is full of holes and currently on petes 85 vic.....tails still on my towny......i switched to dynomax super turbos when i installed the headers and mustang off road pipe.......super turbos have a real nice sound.......they run around 40 bucks each tho

Comment

I'll second that on the Super Turbos. Unfortunately, they're up to more like $50-ish at Summit Racing. I was lucky to get mine on some sort of clearance at Rock Auto.

I also hadn't realized the Cherry Bomb Turbos were available in offset/offset; mine were offset/center because that was all I could find. Got them at Pep Boys for $17 each, but that was in '02 and I'm sure they're more now.

Comment

my cost was 8 bucks ea back in 98.....the entire exhaust cost me 48 dollars.......3 sticks of pipe, 2 mufflers, two flanges, 2 gaskets, bolts clamps and hangers

Comment

Very nice! I think I spent about that much on that first dual-exhaust project.

Now even just the Rust-A-Way brand muffler clamps are $3-$4 each.

Comment

if you buy the clamps in a box of 50 they get much cheaper.......i think mine 72 cents each.......when i worked at meineke they bought alot of clamps and got them for 22 cents each by the 1000

Comment

One of these days when the skating rink in the driveway thaws out, I'll get pics of what we did with the stock hanger location and the Summit Turbos. My father cut up the old exhaust clamp U bolts in half and welded them to the base of the new clamps. We used part of a universal hanger for the driver's side of the car to use as a bracket to for the exhaust hangers. Since the car was originally a single exhaust car, we just marked the locations of each part of the original exhaust and did our best to match everything up after the cat'd Mustang H-pipe.

This is the only pic of the underside of the CV during the dual upgrade. As I mentioned B4, I will get pics of the hanger locations and the hangers themselves.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                        X