Emissions (EGR, smog pump, ect.) removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emissions (EGR, smog pump, ect.) removal

I don't want my car driving around smoking a cigarette.

1) can I buy a belt to bypass my smog pump if I take itoff?

2) what needs to be done to completely remove my egr valve?

3) will my computer be affected w/o the egr plugged in?

4) should the inlet on the egr spacer be plugged up or a fliter be put on it?

I know I had more questionsbut I can't remember them. lol thanks for your help.

1) yes
    2) completely? I don't think you can without a computer tuning. Without the EGR valve, the engine will run mad rich. You can however disconnect the vacuum feed for it, and plug the line.
    3) Refer to 2
    4) if you manage to get the computer tuned to operate without an EGR valve, you can look for a mustang EGR delete plate.

Comment

I suggest leaving the EGR if it's functioning.

1. I dunno, can you? The belt length has been posted many times.
      2. 2 bolts remove EGR valve. the plug holes somehow.
      3. You take it off and need to do something to make the ECU think the EGR is closed. Without it the car will run LEAN, NOT RICH. You cna get an egr simulator or something, a chip tune, whatever.
      4. HUH? you remove the valve and put the blockoff plate on. It's really that simple.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I already posted a question like this...rjminjectiontech sells an EGR simulator. they also sell a block off plate.

The simulator is basically just a stubby little "plug" with some resistors in it that you plug into the car's harness when you unplug the EVP (EGR) it "fools" the ECM into thinking the EGR is always closed.

You can look it up...I am wanting to think it was like 20 bucks each...or somewhere in that area.

But I do not comfortably understand the computer systems on these cars to know whether or not it'll work correctly, or to try it that's why Ima just plug off the vacuum line on mine.

I have heard talk of "I don't like hot exhaust gases going into my intake" but if it stays closed, I really don't see how they'd get in there anyway.

Anyone? Did I even come close?
        People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

the egr simulator is indeed nothing more than 2 resistors that have the same value as the position sensor when the valve is closed. Unplugging vacuum to the valve does the same thing. It would be better to leave the valve intact and the system working if possible. It does not negatively affect horsepower, and it will gain you a little fuel economy.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yea it closes if you accelerate hard, I observed this one day when i plumbed my vacuum gauge into the EGR hose...
            You can get a "clean screen" for it if you are worried about it clogging open.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

i still want to know why anybody would want to lose egr. It doesn't rob you of any power, and it improves your gas mileage and allows more timing at idle.
              Originally posted by gadget73
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                i still want to know why anybody would want to lose egr. It doesn't rob you of any power, and it improves your gas mileage and allows more timing at idle.
                egr doesn't function at idle..
                Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                  egr doesn't function at idle..
                  Cut and pasted two different sentences together and forgot to remove words at the end of what I was writing. Should have simply been allows more timing.
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                  91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                  93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                  Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                  Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                  95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

OK, I unplugged the EGR vacuum line and stuck a screw in it, replaced the TPS, and fixed the idle problem.

Now we wait for warm weather and see if I fixed the "Dies when cruising down the highway" problem.

Fuel mileage seem a BIT better too, but that's probably due to the TPS.
                    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                      I suggest leaving the EGR if it's functioning.

1. I dunno, can you? The belt length has been posted many times.
                      2. 2 bolts remove EGR valve. the plug holes somehow.
                      3. You take it off and need to do something to make the ECU think the EGR is closed. Without it the car will run LEAN, NOT RICH. You cna get an egr simulator or something, a chip tune, whatever.
                      4. HUH? you remove the valve and put the blockoff plate on. It's really that simple.
                      my bad, lean.

Comment

Working...
                      X