R-134????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R-134????

For those of you that do not think that R-134 is as good as R-12... Here is some pictures I took today of the temp gauge that I leave inserted in my "91 Crown Vics A/C vent.... And yes the gauge is accurate....

While driving.... it was a royal PAIN to get a picture of it!!!

While idling at a traffic light.... it never goes over about 30 degrees on "max" setting.... and it was about 85 degrees today....

I hope my A/C guy can get my '84 to cool this good when we switch it over to R-134....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Daaayum... Must be nice. For some reason mine won't go on the MAX setting, and I have to keep flicking a rocker switch that someone put in line on the ground wire off the a/c clutch to keep cold air coming out of it.
    \'05 Suzuki GSX-R - Daily Driver
    \'87 Ford Crown Vic Country Squire - Sad to see her go
    \'87 Mazda RX-7 - 302 project

Yeah.... it\'s stock. =)

Comment

That's enough to make the nipples hard.
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

wow!!! if it wasnt so damn hot down there, you would easily have ice on your evaporator...
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Charge

It took my A/C guy a while to come up with the perfect charge for the car.... then he took the specified charge for the 1991 Crown Vic, and figured out a formula to get him close on other cars... by figuring out what percent to charge it to... (like 15% of the original charge the book called for) Since the R-134 is charged to a different level than the R-12.
          Example...

original charge was 5 lbs... R-12

The optimal R-134 charge was 2.3 pounds....

He then figured out the difference in the two....

This was easy with the A/C machine he uses... since it measures down to the ounce...

Then he came up with the "percent" difference to charge it to.....
          He also changes all the "O" ring seals out to one size larger... since the r-134 is a smaller "molecular" size... it tends to seep out... we had some leaking issues... until he did all the seals... been about a year since we had to add any...

(Don't ask me for the percentage... he won't even tell me!!!!) Needless to say, he gets alot of business from people that want COLD A/C!!!! )

And yes, cold nipples are good.. Especially when a female friend rides with me.. she tends to wear tank tops with no bra.... YIKES!!! I keep almost wrecking the car!!!

I think she does it on purpose!!!

Tom....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

How bout some pictures of that?!?
            '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Pictures of THAT.....

Uh, she would KILL me!!!! And no, well, you know, for a while!

OK, Well here is sorta what she looks like...
              (This isn't her!!)

Comment

original charge was 5 lbs... R-12

The optimal R-134 charge was 2.3 pounds....
                Thank you. That solved my problem. The pressure switch kicks the compressor off and on when the pounds are low. I have 134 in my vic which would be a lower pounds setting like above. My switch is original and thinks that there should be more pounds than what their is, cycling my clutch. If I update the switch for 134 I should be all set. Thanks. For some reason I alway thought it took more 134 than 12 so that is why I didn't know if it was the switch, but its the reverse thats true.
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

R-134

P71towney..
                  That was just an example.. but yes there is less 134 used than the R-12...
                  And there is another high pressure switch listed for most cars... I know there was another one listed for mine.. My switch started cycling like yours was... but it was because it was going bad.... So we replaced it with the 134 switch... the only reason we knew that even made one was the parts guy asked us which freon we were using....
                  It keeps the compressor on longer... so it won't cycle as much as the other one.....

Comment

if u use r134 in an r12 system, you use 80% of the oe charge with 134a
                    a good thing to use in our cars that are retroifitted is an automatically adjusting orfice tube
                    scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                    X