Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extrude Hone

have you guys heard of this extrude hone porting. is it worth it or not

Extrude Hone offers Metal Part Finishing with machines, Contract Shop Services, Abrasive Flow Machining, Electrochemical Machining and Thermal Deburring.

looks like a gel type abrasive that polishes the stuff internally where machining cant reach... makes me wonder how well it actually get stuff cleaned in our upper plenums since it has the hollow end before it flows down toward the lower intake.

saw this in the auto section with pic of how it is flowed thru the parts.

Last edited by 87_crown_vic; 01-11-2009, 11:06 PM.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Its an expensive process. Never seen flow test results. Will take metall out in a way that is not controled or measuable amounts. Usally cheeper to hand port or purchase a better intake.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I'll say ... $781 to do Ford SEFI upper and lower? Insane!!!

Searching Summit Racing ..... here are the only manifolds I see over that price.

Performer RPM "II", factory black powdercoat, $820: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Performer RPM "II", polished, $1060: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Performer RPM "5.0", polished, $1200: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Even the most exotic-looking intake that came up in my search, the BBK "SSI", is cheaper than Extrude Honing at $750: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Yeah, I thought this idea sounded nifty when I read about it in Motor Trend when I was like 16 (gained a whopping 10 or so horsepower on some V6, as I recall), but especially after seeing the price list I can only see this process being useful on parts that really can't be ported by hand due to their configuration AND for which there exist no aftermarket alternatives. Definitely NOT for a 5.0/5.8 owner.

Otherwise, it seems to be primarily for yuppies with no tech knowledge who like throwing their money away.
        Last edited by 1987cp; 01-12-2009, 01:02 AM.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yup, it's been around for about 15-20 years.

It's just as easy to do at home, while the engine is running, dump sand into the intake.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Won't that, like, bog the engine down a bit?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

As Turbo mentioned, extrude honing is a blind removal of metal. Makes it shiny and smooth, but its not controlled. For $781 you can do far better having something hand ported or just getting a better intake.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Won't that, like, bog the engine down a bit?
                nah, just step up the idle a bit.
                1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
                1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

To anyone who doesn't know better, don't do what mrltd suggested. It's stupid.

Then again, if you thought he was serious...
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

ok whats a average price to pay for porting a explorer upper and lower manifolds

Comment

What heads are you planing on in the future? Still concerdering ported ones? Head choice would determine what intake works best.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                        yup, it's been around for about 15-20 years.

It's just as easy to do at home, while the engine is running, dump sand into the intake.
                        how much sand should i use? like a handful or what? i'm gonna go try this i'll be back with the results.. i'm hoping this will cure my idle problems as well.

:edit Is it normal for little chunks of glass to fly out my H pipe after doing this?
                        Last edited by cld783; 01-12-2009, 11:56 PM.
                        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

The J302 heads
                          Attached Files

Comment

on a 302 or a 351

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X