A/C compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C compressor

Is it normal for these cars to cycle the A/C compressor even when the selector is in the off position? The vic cycles like a mofo. I also need to find a different belt or tensioner as this current setup allows for way too much play. I know most of you still don't have your A/C but for those that do I would appreciate any info. BTW the only thing I have done different to the wiring is bypass that coolant temp switch from the heater hose. Thanks again, Chris
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

from my knowlege, the clutch shouldent operate on off nor vent, so somethin might be bad.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I was pretty sure it shouldn't. WTF could be wrong I wonder. time to check wires I guess. If I have the key in the run position the clutch clicks on for ac, auto, and defrost like it should and disengages for vent, heat, and off. What the hell. What about the sensor in the dash for the auto temp?

Comment

it will if you have it set to blow on the windshield.

this is because air conditioned air is dryer and better for defrosting foggy windows.

Comment

I have a thought, since it was converted to 134 could it be the pressure switch acting up. The original one is still on there and it was done by a local shop that kinda half asses things. I don't know too much about the A/C system but I think those switches need replaced because 134 runs more pounds than 12, right? Thoughts are appreciated

Comment

Pressure switch will just make it not come on at all if the press is too low or the switch is bad. Low coolant level will make it cycle like that because the pressure actually drops when the compressor runs. It could be dropping below the normal level (around 25 psi) with the compressor running, then comes back up enough to start it running again once the compressor cuts off. The compressor should stop running with the selector in the off position tho. Might be a switch on the climate control selector is busted, or maybe the relay for the compressor is stuck on. Relay should be over near the washer bottle. One is fuel pump, the other is AC.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X