Brakes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes???

OK, today I started trying to find out what is up with the brakes on my '84 LTD..... Here is what it is doing:

1) Master cylinder is full... (front one is down about 1/4 inch.. but not enough to make a huge difference)
    2) Brake pedal goes most of the way to the floor... (About 3/4)
    3) If you hold the brake down, it doesn't fall any farther down. (Pumped it a few times and then held it down... pedal didn't drop any farther)
    4) No leaks that I can see at any calipers, or wheel cylinders...
    5) Brake pedal is REALLY spongy feeling
    6) You have to STAND on the brakes to get the car to stop.....
    7) The brake pads, and shoes are in good shape, and rear brakes are adjusted....
    8) The brake booster is good, not leaking vacume...

So, does it sound like it needs to have the brakes bled, or maybe something else is wrong, that I'm not thinking of????

I'm trying to get the brakes, exhaust, power steering leak, and some other little tuning on the car... so I can start taking it to the "Show and Shine" on Saturdays....

Tried asking Grandmaqui-GT on PM.... He must be out on female "manuevers" or something!!!!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Sounds like it needs to be bled.
    \'05 Suzuki GSX-R - Daily Driver
    \'87 Ford Crown Vic Country Squire - Sad to see her go
    \'87 Mazda RX-7 - 302 project

Yeah.... it\'s stock. =)

Comment

Sounds like air in the lines to me. If you want to change the old brake fluid, you can put the car on jack-stands, pull the wheels, put drip pans under the drums and rotors, and open the bleeders. Gravity will let the old fluid bleed out. Refill the master with clean fluid as the old fluid leaks out. When the fluid is clear coming out, close the bleeder. You still might need to have someone help you bleed the air out.

Comment

Brakes and other stuff.....

OK, Car is going to the shop tomorrow to get the brakes flushed, and re-bled... My mechanic is going to flush the system, and bleed the brakes for $29.95... He is also going to check for the source of a humm from the rear end... hope it is just a U-joint or something.... Be my luck, it will be a pinion bearing or something!

Soooo.. since I have to DRIVE the car tommorow... I thought it would be a good idea to put the drivers seat back in....

I just realized i have to repaint the arm rest trim piece on the seat.. this was the first color I tried... it didn't match the original color very well....
        Not a big thing to do....

Of course, the seat has to come back out for a few minutes when I mount the radios... but now I can see where I want them, in relation to the seat.

The radios will mount aprox. where the red outline is on the trans tunnel beside the seat....

I HATE the way the flash makes the seats look purple!!!

Then I am going to TRY to get it over to the exhaust shop to put the temp. exhaust pipe on... Some MORON that owned the car before me took the cats off... (not that big of a deal) but he used that FLEX pipe on it.. and the wrong size... (Too big) so it sounds like a tank....
        I am putting the temp pipe on until I can do the four barrel setup... So I can lose the second fuel pump... so I can put true duals on including dual mufflers... with the headers and the Mustang "H" pipe.....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Brakes...

Well, the brakes are fixed... needed...

master cylinder...
          one wheel cylinder...
          brakes bled...
          automatic adjustment "bolt" was frozen.. had to be cleaned up, and he cleaned the whole rear brake area while he had the drums off..
          lubricated all pivot points with some brake lubricant...
          replaced a wheel stud I broke about 5 months ago.. I happened to have had the wheel stud and nut with me in the car....

I NOW HAVE BRAKES!!!!

Total cost was $130.76 including the parts!!!!

Comment

Good to hear! When is she going out to the show and shines again?
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Show and Shine....

Tom, after the exhaust, and the "U" joints.. it will go to a show and shine....

You missed another great one Saturday night.... Babes were EVERYWHERE!!! And not wearing much either.... There were three in bikinis.... and a few others that were incredible.... and no, I didn't get pictures.... you weren't there.. you missed it!!! Tom...

Comment

Working...
              X