Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible oil seepage from right side valve cover....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible oil seepage from right side valve cover....

Since I bought Mo in August, I've noticed from time to time a "hot" smell fron under the hood when I shut the enrine off. Lately, I've been seeing a little wisp of smoke. Since she's got 125k+ on her, I'm assuming I would be smart to snug the valve cover bolts. I can't check in the morning because I leave when it's dark, park in a garage at work, and by the time the engine's cool enough to get under the hood at night, it's dark again. I'll wait until the weekend to take a look.

I know it's a bit dirty under the hood, and I probably won't be able to see for sure, but I guess it can't hurt? What size socket do I need and how long an extension? I don't want to start losing sockets in the abyss! I have no torque wrench, so do I go maybe a half turn past tight?

Checking the oil shows maybe 1/3 quart low, and she's due for a change soon, anyway. I don't need the tech to come into the waiting room with all sorts of bad news for me as I don't have the $$ for anything major. She burns no oil out the tailpipe.

Some ideas and suggestions would be great.

Deke

When you say right side, do you mean driver's side or passenger's side? What do you have? Fuel injection, Carb? If it's the passenger side with EFI, you're gonna have some fun trying to tighten them up.

Comment

replace the valve cover gaskets with felpro permadry valve cover gaskets

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
        You might as well do that. While they're off, you can paint them

Comment

I agree. Just tightening the old gasket is just smashing it down and making it worse. I would suggest putting new fel pros on.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            When you say right side, do you mean driver's side or passenger's side? What do you have? Fuel injection, Carb? If it's the passenger side with EFI, you're gonna have some fun trying to tighten them up.
            The pasenger side. This is on a 90 GM - FI motor.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
              Since I'm practically all thumbs, how hard would that be to do? Back in the old days when you could actually get under the hood, no problem.... nowadays?

It takes me a half hour to change laces on my New Balances! :-P

I'd hate to pay someone to do the job, plus I don't know what else I'd find wrong under there....

Deke

Comment

To change the valve cover gaskets, You'll need to take the upper intake off (plenum, airbox etc.), once that's all out of the way you can access the valve cover bolts. They shouldn't be that tight, because over-tightening will cause gasket failure. So you should be able to remove them easily. 9mm or 10mm socket iirc. Once you got it off, be sure to clean the gasket surfaces, and try not to get any crud in the valves, you can throw something on top of the exposed valves to protect them while you clean the valve covers. Also, you should inspect them for warpage while you have them off, if they are warped, no matter what gasket you put on you will have leaks. This would be the time to paint the valve covers if you felt like it.

Comment

Deke, if you dont feel up to it i can do it. im in Pinellas Park
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I like the Ford VC's; the steel ones with the rubber ring around the inside. They don't crush, and they don't leak. I have never seen or used the Felpro ones, but I'm sure they are good if folks are recommending them. The Ford ones can be spendy, so the Felpro's may be a good alternative.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

what really helps is different valve covers. the stamped ones warp and leak. the cast aluminum ones have a thick, wide flat rail which really helps seal. im using cheap cork ones and they dont leak with my cast covers
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

the stock stamped ones are pretty damn toug hthoug- at least on the EFI cars.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

PM sent..... Thanks for the offer.

Comment

My right/passenger side has loosened up a little on me twice and it started leaking, getting onto the exhaust manifold and smoking. My Dad's snugged up a few of the bolts on just that side maybe 2 times in 5 years, and by snug I mean just a tiny turn, not much at all. I have the Perma-Dry gaskets and am waiting for the time but until then, at least my car's not smoking up a storm.
                            sigpic
                            1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                            Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Talked with a guy at work today - he's a former IMSA racer and keeps his cars immaculate (has a first gen Saturn SC1 with over 138K on it). He says it could be a clogged PCV valve abd there's blowby through the breather. Does the 5.0 have a breather? To be hinest, I never paid attention. I know the PCV is in the back and hard to get to, but that could be the problem.

It has been mentioned that ther eis a mesh "basket" in there, too? Does that come with a new valve, or do I discard it?

He says I'd be best to clean everything first to see if I can tell where the leak is coming from. Simple Green and the hose. What do I need to keep from getting real wet under the hood?

Mo doesn't smoke while moving, but once shut off, you can see it. Basically white, and I only just noticed it the other day when the car was in the sun. It doesn't smell like oil, but I have very little sense of smell....

Comment

Working...
                              X