Loveboat Saga continued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loveboat Saga continued

I now have the loveboat running and driveable. The problem was indeed the bad brand new distributor. I had an exhaust shop put on a dual system for the incredibly good price of $125.00 while I waited. excellent.

That's the good stuff. Now the bad stuff.

The car runs consistently, smoothly, and without any abnormal noises, however, it now makes just slightly less power than before the semi-ho.

I have the timing set at 10 degrees btdc. I have good spark (finally). The engine seems to be hitting on all cyls. It just dogs it like hell.

Any ideas?
    1991 GM GS sedan "Love Boat" HO converted, Holley adjustable fpr, 3.27 Trac-lok - RIP
    1991 Colony Park LS "Wally World Express" HO, 3.27 trac-lok - RIP
    1988 grand marquis ls "grey ghoul" - RIP 1992 gm ls "superbeater"- sold 1993 F350 dually 7.3 IDI crew cab flatbed "killer" - RIP
    1994.5 F350 Dually Crew Cab Flatbed, Powerstroke 7.3 "overkill" - Alive and kicking
    1987 Lincoln Town Car "El Presidente" - Resting for winter, gonna be a beast!
    2008 Mustang, no name - belongs to the wifey

did you pull the spout connector when you set the timing?
    i have my timing set at 12 deg........no pinging on reg gas

scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

NO sir, didn't pull spout. Where is it? Could just a few degrees of advance make a big difference? I Set the timing with the car warmed up to operating temp. in neutral with park brake on.
      1991 GM GS sedan "Love Boat" HO converted, Holley adjustable fpr, 3.27 Trac-lok - RIP
      1988 grand marquis ls "grey ghoul" - RIP 1992 gm ls "superbeater"- sold 1993 F350 dually 7.3 IDI crew cab flatbed "killer" - RIP
      1994.5 F350 Dually Crew Cab Flatbed, Powerstroke 7.3 "overkill" - Alive and kicking

Comment

sounds like Scott is onto something here

pulling the spout connector removes the automatic adavance the ECM builds in, similar to pulling the vacuum hose on an older, vacuum advance distributor.
        So, if you have timing set at 10 BTDC with the spout connected, the timing is actually very retarded (ECM automatically builds in 15-20 degrees)

This is what the spout connector looks like:

The plug is usually in the harness going to the TFI module. It's important to remember to remove and install the jumper with the ignition in the OFF position, as ECM or TFI damage/short may result.

Also beaware there are timing marks on the harmonic balancer to set the timing correctly. DO NOT use the large slot as this is NOT TDC.

2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Allright. Looks like I'll pull the spout and try 12 degrees tomorrow. I've never heard of pulling the spout before, but now I read up on it and it sounds like it can make a very big difference. Thanks 88grandmarq for your excellent pictures (I always thought that damn thing was a fuse or something).

Comment

Working...
          X