white smoke at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white smoke at idle

about once a week, when idling i will get white smoke coming from the exhaust, i havent gotten a "sweet" smell from it.

i have empty cats, dual exhaust, the oil is not milky or muddy.. thermostat, tps, o2 sensors replaced in last couple years,

what else besides head gasket could it be? what can i do to diagnose this problem?

Originally posted by eightysixwinter View Post
    about once a week, when idling i will get white smoke coming from the exhaust, i havent gotten a "sweet" smell from it.

i have empty cats, dual exhaust, the oil is not milky or muddy.. thermostat, tps, o2 sensors replaced in last couple years,

what else besides head gasket could it be? what can i do to diagnose this problem?
    It could be water just in the exhaust. More noticable when it's colder out.

Comment

Steam is natural when warming up on cooler (or really humid/rainy) days.

If the oil's not milky and you aren't losing coolant, you probably don't have a problem. If there is a problem, other than the mentioned head gaskets, it might be an EGR cooler/TB Spacer gasket leak.
      1990 Country Squire - under restoration
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

hmm it was raining yesterday when this happened a bit more than usual... is very humid around here.. im used to only being able to see the exhaust when its cold out though

i think the previous owner took out the ac pump and ac stuff since there is a big open space on the left side of the engine...

Comment

BBUB has always had that faint steam from the exhaust i never tried to diagnose it cause it ran so well.

Comment

Are you sure its coming from your exhuast or is it just coming out around it? If not transmission fluid is the only fluid that burns with a really white fluffy smoke. You could have a leak dripping on your exhaust.

Just a thought.
            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
            sigpic

Comment

Kill the spammer!
              Originally posted by gadget73
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

My Ranger spews steam as well during the warmer weather. It's something that the Fords seem to do.

Packman

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

as long as it isn't coolant burning or oil its perfectly normal. Its only steam generated from combustion and would mean your engine is nice and healthy.

my 302 leaves small puddles of water under the tailpipes and the engine is in perfect condition.
                    Last edited by cld783; 09-10-2008, 12:07 AM.
                    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X