Fuct Loveboat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuct Loveboat

The loveboat is fuct. I thought it was a bad distributor which after a secondary diagnosis proved not to be the case. I was getting no spark from the coil so I replaced it. Then the boat ran for 5-6 and died just like before. I'm out of ideas currently. I have a no spark condition after a few minutes of running. Then after a day or two it will run for a few minutes and shut down the spark. I replace the coil and disatributor to no effect. Does anyone no what else could cause this? I replaced the EEC cutout relay. Could it be the diode? ecm? I am probably going to have to hook it up to a computer somewhere, but my wife lost her job and I'm out of money soooooooooooooo.... any suggestions of how to troubleshoot this myself would be very helpful.
    1991 GM GS sedan "Love Boat" HO converted, Holley adjustable fpr, 3.27 Trac-lok - RIP
    1991 Colony Park LS "Wally World Express" HO, 3.27 trac-lok - RIP
    1988 grand marquis ls "grey ghoul" - RIP 1992 gm ls "superbeater"- sold 1993 F350 dually 7.3 IDI crew cab flatbed "killer" - RIP
    1994.5 F350 Dually Crew Cab Flatbed, Powerstroke 7.3 "overkill" - Alive and kicking
    1987 Lincoln Town Car "El Presidente" - Resting for winter, gonna be a beast!
    2008 Mustang, no name - belongs to the wifey

I just talked to a very trusted and competent ford mechanic/friend who feels like it is the tfi module on the distributor. He states that if it goes bad it can send a bad signal to the PCM that tells the coil not to fire. Looks like my original theory of a bad distributor module may have been right after all. If that isn't it, according to him it has to be a) bad PCM creating a bad spark output (SPOUT) signal or b) bad wiring creating a short. Since I had great spark before the teardown, and the only new electrical component is the distributor it is pretty narrowed down.

I just thought a bad distributor module being able to prevent spark at the coil was interesting and non intuitive and thought I would share in hopes it could help someone else down the road.

I'll let you all know how it turns out. I'm now on day 27 of the 2 day project. HeHe.
    1991 GM GS sedan "Love Boat" HO converted, Holley adjustable fpr, 3.27 Trac-lok - RIP
    1988 grand marquis ls "grey ghoul" - RIP 1992 gm ls "superbeater"- sold 1993 F350 dually 7.3 IDI crew cab flatbed "killer" - RIP
    1994.5 F350 Dually Crew Cab Flatbed, Powerstroke 7.3 "overkill" - Alive and kicking

Comment

replace that pesky tfi module.......sounds like it is shorting out whan it gets warm
      scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

amen. Luckily I have a great donor for test parts. The running Wally World Express (Colony Park).

Comment

don't slander that car

wally world is an evil corporation :cuss:
          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

National Lampoon's Vacation

Wagon Queen Family Truckster

Dad Clark(Chevy Chase) takes his family on a family vacation to fictional amusement park Wally World

Comment

i been working for walmart too long :coocoo: and veryone here calls it wallyworld
              Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Working...
              X