88 CP jerks while decelerating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 CP jerks while decelerating

Hi, My 88 CP jerks while decelerating from highway speeeds, like when approaching a speed bump, etc. It doesnt do it all the time.It seems to happen the most if I take my foot off the accelerator suddenly as opposed to if I gradually slacken off speed. I dont hear or smell anything unusual at any time during the drive.At high speeds(usually 75mph) over the whole 100 kms route there is no problem at all.Starts just when I finally slow down for the turn-off.
    Thanks
    sigpic1988 Colony Park

I have the same problem with mine, usually at the same times, and also when I stop at stop lights. I figured the transmission is going.
    1986 Ford Crown Victoria Ltd

Comment

Engine/trans mounts, bad u joints....worn gears...
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

could also be overdrive shudder.. i've learned to downshift to D when slowing down off of the highway/interstate.. if your car's in OD when it does this, try going out on the highway as usual only keep it in D, or downshift to D from overdrive before the time it usually shudders.

no it doesnt mean your trannys going out either, mines been doing it for years and im pretty positive its a common problem with aod transmissions.
        Last edited by cld783; 08-19-2008, 10:10 PM.
        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

The AOD is sort of jerky like that since its direct driven in overdrive. Bad motor or trans mounts really amplifies that. Most of the motor mounts on these cars are like jello by now, same with the transmission mount.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This happens to me too....the car has done it for years...You lift off the gas while in OD and there's a single jerk and then all is well again. I probably could use new motor/trans mounts, but I haven't looked to see what shape they're in.
            Originally posted by gadget73
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
            X