Shift Kits...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
    Either you want it to shift automatically at a higher RPM or you want it to upshift and downshift on demand. As a general rule, for manual shifting, you use the CV governor in addition to your valve body reprogramming. For automatic shifting at a higher RPM, you use a Mustang governor.
    Found out the Mustang govener housing is part of the difference it has a hole between the bolts in the housing were the valve and spring are housed.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
      Wray-wray, does that kit you have require you to drill holes in the vb? Thats a B&M Transpak?
      yes it does require you to drill holes in the VB and it does come with the drill bit......IM not sure if its a transpak....i would haft to call my popz n check because it is at his house on my parts shelf
      My old 87 Mercury Grand Marquis-RIP- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3016650
      Now Driving A
      1999 Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0 V8 its also AWD..... Atleast I'm keeping it in the Mercury family right?

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat View Post
        I'd highly recommend the TransGo NoYoYo kit. It was $35 shipped and with all the most firm "settings", it was perfect for a daily driven AOD. It shifted quick and crisp, but never really slammed me around.
        I couldn't agree more - I have that kit with the police/taxi setting, it shifts very fast (both up and down) but not really harsh, just firm. I drive around with the OD off most of the time, under WOT she hits 3rd at like 65-70mph, shift points are just where I want them for a bit more spirited driving - wish the car had 4.10 rears, that would make it even more fun.

Comment

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Mercracer
          Either you want it to shift automatically at a higher RPM or you want it to upshift and downshift on demand. As a general rule, for manual shifting, you use the CV governor in addition to your valve body reprogramming. For automatic shifting at a higher RPM, you use a Mustang governor.

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
          Found out the Mustang govener housing is part of the difference it has a hole between the bolts in the housing were the valve and spring are housed.

I want my car to hold 2nd gear, would I use the CV governor? Or would I have to use the Mustang governor?

I am not concerned with putting it and OD and letting it shift its self, I want to keep it in low gear and just keep it in 1-2.

Comment

Originally posted by GilroyRacing View Post
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Mercracer

I want my car to hold 2nd gear, would I use the CV governor? Or would I have to use the Mustang governor?

I am not concerned with putting it and OD and letting it shift its self, I want to keep it in low gear and just keep it in 1-2.
            HO governor only raises the rpms the tranny shifts at.. so it doesn't matter which one you use because neither will alow you to hold 2nd gear..
            Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Actually you can keep 2nd, you just gotta do the 1-3-1 thing - piece of cake in my car with the T-bird shifter, I can see it being a bit of PITA with the column shifter tho. You may wanna look into floor shifters, or modify the gates in your stock column shifter and double-stack the detent springs in the VB.

Comment

I just got off the phone with PA (Performance Automatics) they have a valve body that Holds first, and Holds 2nd.

I might just go that route. I am kind of scared that the AOD might not be able to handle that.

Comment

Handle what, manual 1st and 2nd? Well how high you wanna revv that engine? The weaker input shaft in the AOD is used for 3rd and 4th gear, by the way.

Comment

up around 6,000.

Comment

Think this is funny stock holds gears to over 6K. Just have to do the L D L shuffle. As I stated before except for the ones with the electric omit or enable OD switch got to do the L D L shuffle. All style shifters only have L, D, OD. Electric OD shifter still uses L,D,OD. Differance with electric OD is L becomes 1st, D becomes 2nd, OD becomes 3rd untill you actavate the OD with the button.

Comment

There is the famous "epoxy mod" that makes the shift pattern P-R-N-OD-2-1. No need to do the AOD shuffle. Info at clickclickracing.com in one of the stickies.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah, but I'd rather be able to leave the shifter in 3rd and never hit OD unless I want it, than having a manual 2nd but no hold for 3rd - around town I essentially fly in 3rd gear, I only go in 4th when cruising on 8 Mile or Telegraph for a bit, and of course on the freeway.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
                            yeah, but I'd rather be able to leave the shifter in 3rd and never hit OD unless I want it, than having a manual 2nd but no hold for 3rd - around town I essentially fly in 3rd gear, I only go in 4th when cruising on 8 Mile or Telegraph for a bit, and of course on the freeway.

Ditto here. If it was just for racing might be better to go with a old school 3 speed auto.

Comment

I wouldn't do it to mine either. I have a lot more use for 3 than 2. I don't really ever manually shift anyway, just mentioning the mod for those who want second gear for some reason.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X