164 tooth vs. 157 tooth flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

164 tooth vs. 157 tooth flywheel

I'm flywheel shopping for the 5 speed conversion. Most of the stuff I find for 351 engines (28 oz. imbalance) is of the 157 tooth variety rather than 164 tooth. I'm assuming the 157 tooth flywheel was what was used on Mustangs (anyone know the reason for the difference?).

My question is, can I use a 157 tooth flywheel? Will it require a different starter or am I okay with my stocker?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

requires a different starter location. One bolt remains in the same position for all Ford SBs. The other is located furthest inward on 260s V8s and 250 6cyl and some 289s. I believe all 302s were in the middle position and most all if not all 351s furthest out. Newer blowproff bell hsgs..maybe not the cable actuated design accomidate all three positions.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

So my flywheel selection is determined by the bellhousing I have? It's the standard bellhousing sold by Tremec for use with the 3550...I'll have to do some more research on what that's made to be used with.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Tremec doesn't make bellhousings. FRPP and others sell/sold the 157 tooth flywheel style bellhousing. The SROD Fox application and the Tremec use the same bellhousing and 157 tooth flywheels. The flywheel must match the bellhousing.

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
        One bolt remains in the same position for all Ford SBs. The other is located furthest inward on 260s V8s and 250 6cyl and some 289s. I believe all 302s were in the middle position and most all if not all 351s furthest out. Newer blowproff bell hsgs..maybe not the cable actuated design accomidate all three positions.
        5 bolt and 6 bolt 260/289 stick bellhousings (non HiPo) used 157 tooth flywheels. Early automatic flexplates were 160 tooth. There may have ben an oddball 160 tooth stick flywheel in there, but they used the same bell. Some early 302s used 157 and some 164 tooth flywheels. HiPo 289 motors used 164 tooth flywheels. Mustang II used a smaller than 157 tooth flywheel and a unique bellhousing. ALL 351s use 164 tooth flywheels. 250 6 cyl engines in Granadas/Monarchs used the 164 tooth 28 oz (351) flywheel. Fox Mustangs used 164 tooth flexplates for AOD and 157 tooth flexplates for C4. The SROD used the early 289 flywheel with a newer part number stamped into it. Fox body 4 speed(SROD) and 5 speed (T5) trannys used 157 tooth flywheels.
        Last edited by Mercracer; 06-10-2008, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
          Tremec doesn't make bellhousings. FRPP and others sell/sold the 157 tooth flywheel style bellhousing. The SROD Fox application and the Tremec use the same bellhousing and 157 tooth flywheels. The flywheel must match the bellhousing.
          Sorry if I seem thick, but I just want to confirm that I've got this right--what I want for the bellhousing I have is a 157 tooth flywheel for a 351 (28 oz. imbalance), correct?

Comment

Yes.. But... Not all 157 tooth flyhweels are created equal. Factory long throw clutch application 157 tooth wheels were for 10" clutches. A 28 oz 157 tooth flywheel with a 10.5"+ clutch application will be aftermarket only. Look at the style of clutch which you are using, look at the cost of an aftermarket 157T 28oz flywheel with your current bellhousing vs a scattershield for a Tremec and a 164 tooth flywheel w/11" clutch and weigh the difference vs your budget....
            Having to change clutches often sucks, so I would recommend doing it right the 1st time.

Comment

The clutch that I have is a used one that came with the transmission, but everything supposedly only has about 5000 miles on it. I'll see what size the clutch is (I'm guessing 10.5") and buy my flywheel based on that.

Thanks very much for all your help!

Comment

Take some good measurements to be sure what you have..... The pressure plate bolt pattern is important....

Comment

Okay, I think I've finally got a bead on this. I measured my clutch tonight and the pressure plate is 10.5". Assuming I want a 157 tooth ring gear, 28 oz. imbalance, and a 10.5" clutch, the following flywheel should meet my needs, correct?

Alternatively, from Summit Racing:

I promise I'll quit boring you guys with my questions on the minute details of all this stuff very soon, but I just want to buy the right parts the first time!

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                    I assume this is so the same starter can be used for both 164-tooth and 157-tooth applications?
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
                      Assuming I want a 157 tooth ring gear, 28 oz. imbalance, and a 10.5" clutch, the following flywheel should meet my needs, correct?
                      The Summit one lists both long and diaphram style pressure plates, but the Ebay one does not. I would ask alot of questions of the seller before buying either.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        I assume this is so the same starter can be used for both 164-tooth and 157-tooth applications?
                        The bellhousing size for vehicle application was likely more of a driving force. It just made sense to use the same starter.

Comment

Working...
                        X