Brown Sludge under radiator cap in '88 CP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown Sludge under radiator cap in '88 CP

I found, for the first time, a brown pasty substance under the radiator cap and inlet as well as in the reservoir tank. It did not feel oily to touch and did not float on the coolant.My radiator coolant level is up to the top, and the oil on the dipstick is clean.No goop under the oil filler cap. Car not overheating in traffic with AC on ( in 45 C outside temp). I always use the green coolant, and never mix brands or types. Car moves and accelerates well.No white smoke from the exhaust.
    I noticed that the rubber part of the radiator cap was all peeling away, sort of.
    Is this just accumulated sludge that can be fixed with flushing, or could it mean something more serious like a head Gasket failure?
    Thanks
    Gopi
    sigpic1988 Colony Park

sounds like accumulated gunk.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by gopiqpp View Post
      I found, for the first time, a brown pasty substance under the radiator cap and inlet as well as in the reservoir tank. It did not feel oily to touch and did not float on the coolant.My radiator coolant level is up to the top, and the oil on the dipstick is clean.No goop under the oil filler cap. Car not overheating in traffic with AC on ( in 45 C outside temp). I always use the green coolant, and never mix brands or types. Car moves and accelerates well.No white smoke from the exhaust.
      I noticed that the rubber part of the radiator cap was all peeling away, sort of.
      Is this just accumulated sludge that can be fixed with flushing, or could it mean something more serious like a head Gasket failure?
      Thanks
      Gopi
      It's sludge, they all have it. You should flush the radiator it when ever you work on the cooling system. I took my radiator out to get all the shit out. I put that hose in there until nothing but clean water came out. If you haven't done coolant hoses, you should change them now.

Comment

Probably needs a coolant system flush. When was the last time it was done?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Bar's leak and other stop leak products will do that too. i had some in my wagon to try and stop the heater core leak, didn't stop the heater core but it did plug up the heater hose after i pinched it off. it looked like a big turd once i got it out. i really hate to see what the engine looks like on the inside. i will never use that shit again.
          '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Probably needs a coolant system flush. When was the last time it was done?
            No idea, I got the car a year ago from a friend and he tells me he didnt get it done either. It is going in to day for the flush, new hoses and cap.
            sigpic1988 Colony Park

Comment

A coolant flush sounds like a good idea.

Personally I would stay away from using a can of radiator flush product from the auto parts store. This might aggrivate the weak seal of the coolant system at the front of the intake manifold.

I ended up replacing my intake manifold gaskets soon after using a can of radiator flush.

I would flush the system out with garden hose water with an adapter (I think Prestone makes it) that connects to your radiator hose.

Comment

Originally posted by luddite View Post
                A coolant flush sounds like a good idea.

Personally I would stay away from using a can of radiator flush product from the auto parts store. This might aggrivate the weak seal of the coolant system at the front of the intake manifold.

I ended up replacing my intake manifold gaskets soon after using a can of radiator flush.

I would flush the system out with garden hose water with an adapter (I think Prestone makes it) that connects to your radiator hose.
                OK. I will keep that in mind. I had earlier noticed that after long runs the upper return hose to the radiator seemed to be sort of collapsed or pinched in the middle. Is this normal ?
                sigpic1988 Colony Park

Comment

Not really... it is the bottom hose that prefers to collapse.
                  Hoses are relatively cheap to replace if you don't know thier history.
                  Much better than being SOL miles from nowwhere.
                  Especially when it's the time you don't have infamous duct tape for a get my ass home repair.

Comment

Originally posted by gopiqpp View Post
                    OK. I will keep that in mind. I had earlier noticed that after long runs the upper return hose to the radiator seemed to be sort of collapsed or pinched in the middle. Is this normal ?
                    you have coolant in the resevoir? If you don't it will be sucking air when you rev the engine, and the hose will collapse. fill your resevoir to keep this from happening. If you are going to flush the coolant, I would replace the hoses anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X