UD Pulley on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UD Pulley on

So I put on a March Performance Underdrive Crank pulley.
    Works wonderfully. I finally am hearing my motor spool up without the whine of the accessories...it's wierd. lol
    Spools up just a smidgen quicker, too.
    here's pics of the pulley...I am not running my AC or Smog pumps, so I just needed this crank pulley and a smaller belt.

But someone needs to explain this to me...I didn't do very well in geometry, but this makes no sense to me.

if you change the crank pulley to something a good 1-1.5" smaller in diameter but the rest of the pulleys stay the same, how does it spin slower? wouldn't it logically spin faster since it's smaller...just as wheels would spin faster if the sidewall was smaller?
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Your're welcome :p lol

On a related note, I hate march products. Lack of instructions and lack of product info to see if the parts work for your application. They just want you to keep buying more parts to make it work on your application.

Bought an alt bracket hoping it would work to mount my alt on the passenger side. None of the bolts are the right length even. I ended up buying 1 1/2in steel spacers and grinding them to 1 1/4in to extend the alt to where the belt in line with the water and crank pulley. I need to run to the hardware store and purchase longer 5/16-18 allen headed bolts to fit.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

think of a mountain bike... which is harder to turn? big gear to the small gear or when the gears are closer matched?
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

i can see that.
        but if it's whining with the big pulley, wouldn't it spin faster or at least the same speed?

oh and yea, Mercmarquis gets ALL credit for this, he recommended the pulley for my application.
        sigpic
        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
          i can see that.
          but if it's whining with the big pulley, wouldn't it spin faster or at least the same speed?
          Nope. The linear speed of the belt is proportional to the diameter of the crank pulley. Smaller crank pulley ==> belt travels slower. Remember, (circumference of pulley) = 2 * Pi * (radius of pulley), and the entire new (smaller) circumference will travel past the same spot in the same time as the old (larger) circumference did at the same engine speed.

Did the steering effort go up any? Any charging problems rearing their heads as of yet?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yep. ok.
            I was just on the porcelain throne and I thought of it.
            for every 1 turn the big crank pulley makes, the other ones spin more than 1...if you shrink the crank pulley, then for every 1 turn the crank makes now, the others spin less than before.

didnt see any problems, no..drove it for a little bit and the temp stayed normal...under 195 like usual...volts gauge tells me that the alt is charging at 14.8 volts just as before...oil pressure is the same as before.
            sigpic
            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

How are the lights? How are your guages? Do they dim when you rev it or when you have the radio on? I am contemplating a UD install myself because the chattering accessories are killin' me.

Packman

Comment

I love your car more and more colin.
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

lol. thanx mang.
                  you'll prolly wanna marry it when the rust gets fixed and the top gets replaced. lol
                  sigpic
                  1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Ok
                    so I ran into a problem...I'm surprised I didn't notice when I first put it on.
                    The crank pulley does not come forward far enough so guess what happened......

yep...shredded the belt.

so I measured the stock pulley in comparison to the UD pulley and noticed that it is exactly 3/8" shorter than the stock one.
                    So I got some hardware and now the pulley is exactly in line with the rest of the pulleys.
                    runs just fine..drove it around a little....temp is staying ok...as with volts and oil pressure.
                    I let it run then tightened it again to be sure.

I have one small piece of advice for anyone that needs to replace their fan clutch..the fan or anything like that...
                    Just get an electric fan..that stupid shroud is a PITA to deal with.
                    sigpic
                    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Lol, if you think this is a PITA, you should try turning my diesel - cause of the cooling lines and what not you only get like 30 degrees at a time, if you're way off where you wanna be have fun turning the crank! Also, what spacers did you use to move the pulley forward?

Comment

3/8".
                        I actually just went to Aco Hardware and got some hardware to do it.
                        some nuts and washers making exactly 3/8"..works great...PITA to put on but workin' great.
                        sigpic
                        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Got some videos...
                          Inside

outside
                          Last edited by Mr. Land Yacht; 05-29-2008, 11:19 PM.
                          sigpic
                          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I like it Colin. I need one, too. PM me the info please. I scared the younger generation teens out here trying to get the POS on the high idle cam today. It would also be nice to not hear the belt during every upshift, as well. You know we need another vid, right?

-edit-

Spoke too soon, the vids appeared after I entered this post.

Comment

interesting, I didnt run into any problems like that. Then again I have the water pump pulley to match. Everything is right in line except my alt which is getting addressed right now.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Working...
                              X