The 84....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 84....

For some time now, I have been trying to diagnose why my 84 would not start... The fuel pump in the tank and the frame rail would not come on... I got a new one from a car in the junk yard.. that goes on the frame rail, the high pressure one... (You could tell it was brand new one) Anyway... The last time I worked on it.. I had left the fuel pump relay unplugged... When I was tracing wires and circuits... So today I was cleaning out the trunk to get it ready to go in the shop Friday, to get the four barrel put on it... And I noticed the fuel pump relay laying there... So to keep from losing it, I plugged it in... So I thought , "I wonder"--- Went around, got in, turned the key.. and the damn thing started!!! (The fuel pump came on, built up pressure, and then went off.. Just like it was supposed to do...) Well, needless to say, since it has not started in quite some time, I shut it off.. And then pulled the coil wire so I could spin the motor over for a minute to re oil everything.. (The lifters were clattering like a bitch when I first started it, but they quieted down the second time I started the car... just needed to be "pumped up") Then I started it up.. and it ran like a top... Except for the usual rough running from the CFI being screwed up... I took it around the block... And it ran like a champ... Even chirped the tires when I got on it once... when it shifted from 1st to 2nd... And then I came to a complete stop, and stomped on it... it lit the tires up nicely.. leaving a very dark tire mark on the pavement... (No burnouts tho... Since the car isn't registered right now, even tho I know all of the cops here... ) Didn't want someone calling on me.... So.. I went and got some new gas for it.. since we had drained most of it out so we could drop the tank... put 4 gallons in it so I can DRIVE it to the shop now... instead of having it flat bedded...

I will be replacing the gas tank tho... since this one has a HUGE dent in the bottom... I have a new one... I also think that even tho the fuel pump came on and worked... it doesn't sound right... So I will replace that while we are swapping out the fuel tank...

I am stoked to get this done now!!!

Tom....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Never overlook the simple stuff. I've done stuff like that before too, forget to plug something back in and suddenly it won't go.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well before it wouldn't go even with it plugged in... I had unplugged it while tracing circuits... But at least it starts now!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Well, today the 84 went in the shop for the four barrel... My mechanic called me about 15 minutes after I left... he found the problem with the CFI when he started to tear it down... The CFI was cracked down the side... So it had like a MAJOR vacume leak... as it was sucking air into the side of the CFI... the crack was about 2 inches long, from the bottom of the unit up the side.... he said he sprayed some silicone on it... and it straightend right up and idled perfect... for about 5 seconds! So, I guess it is a good thing that the 600 CFM four barrel is going on it! Damn.. I was hoping to salvage the CFI... NOT!!!!! LOL!!!
        I am sandblasting the intake tommorow to clean it up... (with walnut shell media) So it should look good!!! (Ford factory aluminum intake from a Mustang.. Fitting... since this is basically a four door Mustang!!!) The mechanic is also going to paint the engine for me while he has it apart... and give me all the brackets to sandblast that he takes off... and then I will repaint them, and then give them back to him to put back on...... Should look really nice when he gets done!

Tom...

Comment

Years in the making, and finally getting done!

Let us all know how it turns out
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

cracked up CFI unit eh? Never seen that before.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

We figure someone had it off, and then when they put it back on, over tightend one or more of the bolts, or at least out of sequence--- so to speak, and caused it to crack the side over a period of time... Hell, knowing the "quality assurance" at Ford back in the 80's... it could have been this way from the factory... and no one ever noticed it... Sure would like to have seen the maintenance records on this car... See if it ever went into the shop for "idling problems"...

Also media blasted the intake today... I ended up with walnut shells EVERYWHERE.... in my hair, ears... And I even had a sandblasting hood on! But the intake looks alot better... the underside was pretty black.. it is shiney aluminum now...
              Last edited by trwp72; 06-02-2008, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Went up to the shop today... My mechanic told me a guy came in and saw my mainifold, and offered to soda blast it to really clean it up and make it look nice... (uses baking soda in case you have never seen it) For $15.00... So I told Trey to go ahead and let him do it... Trey said that he did some other aluminum parts for him, and they came out looking brand new... So I may get him to do some of the other aluminum parts on the engine. like the belt tensioner assembly.. etc... Pictures when I get it back, and of course pictures of the progress as soon as I get a chance to take some.... (I am off for two days starting tommorow!)

Comment

BEFORE you install that intake, run a die grinder in the intake ports, and open them up a bit, as they are hideously small...if I had it all to do over again, I would install at least a Performer intake on it, the stocker is that restrictive.

Comment

He's only doing the factory stuff to make it look factory...
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Yes, what Tom said... The car is actuially not even supposed to have a four barrel... as they never came with them... The only reason that I will not get points deducted at car shows is everyone knows what junk the CFI was... Also, the car will look like it came with the four barrel when i get done, right down to a dual snorkle carb style aircleaner, with the "5.0. H.O. 4V" decal on the lid... That is the reason for the stock four barrel Mustang intake...

Here is some pictures from the other day when I dropped it off... More to come as work progresses... I gave Trey some disposable cameras to document the progress... Then I will get them developed and scanned to cd... Then posted here for all to see....

Comment

I thought there was a specific reason why you were going with the stock intake, I didn't think you were showing it for points. Still no reason why you can't mod the intake ports for better flow, however, as the stocker is hideously small at the head exit area...

Comment

ALL car shows are for points... And on the police car show circuit... they judge on complete "Stock" appearence and equipment... And most of the judges are alot like me, either ex police or something to do with emergency equipment... So they know what belongs on a car, and what doesn't... unlike alot of carshows where they grab some of the local car people to judge it... With alot of them not knowing alot about cars... they just judge it on the "Pretty scale" or the "Wow scale"....

Comment

Originally posted by trwp72 View Post
                            ALL car shows are for points... And on the police car show circuit... they judge on complete "Stock" appearence and equipment... And most of the judges are alot like me, either ex police or something to do with emergency equipment... So they know what belongs on a car, and what doesn't... unlike alot of carshows where they grab some of the local car people to judge it... With alot of them not knowing alot about cars... they just judge it on the "Pretty scale" or the "Wow scale"....
                            Nobody sees whats on the inside...

Have you ever heard of F.A.S.T? Its a class that drag races msucle cars that are restored to the nines. Everything has to be, or at least appear, entirely stock. Casting numbers have to be right on, etc, etc...

Take for example an A12 (440-6) Roadrunner. On the outside, it may look like any old 440-6. But, internally it can be 500+ ci, and have entriely upgraded internals. The heads and intake could be ported extensively, and no one knows the wsier, because there is no visual difference from the outside. These are fully restored cars (in some cases Concours), and they run in the 11's and mid to high 10's on stock bias ply tires.

That is what Pirate is saying. You can't tell if your intake is ported once the engine is assembled. So, you can still get the same number of jdging points, and when you leave the show, you can mat it, and have more power under your foot...
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Uh, I am NOT racing this car! IF I were racing it... I would do alot more to the engine... but I am just putting the four barrel on to make it idle better, and run down the road smoother... and get rid of the "BROKEN" CFI... It is already fast enough for my taste.... Sorry guys... hate to disapoint you!

and when you leave the show, you can mat it, and have more power under your foot...

Not all of us wants to drive this way... ESPECIALLY with an old police car... You get on it once... And the police pull you over... Then they start harrasing you... We don't need that in the Police car restoration hobby.... It is hard enough to get permission from some of these Departments permission to use their graphics etc... on the car... And you don't want to screw that up... We are very hard on anyone doing anything to screw up the reputation we have worked for in the hobby... We are now getting invited to special events, funerals of older officers that pass away etc... and we are proud of that, and proud to do it for the departments...

Tom...
                              Last edited by trwp72; 06-06-2008, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X