Timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing?

Okay, it's been a while since I've timed my car. '88 Town Car, SEFI, etc. I have timed cars before, but I've also timed bikes with both CDI and points, and they have a tendency of mixing up in my head as the procedure for each vehicle is very different.

However, I don't believe I made any mistakes here. I disconnected the spark plug wire for cylinder 1 (it's at the frontmost cylinder on the passenger side, right) at the distributor (because the engine was too hot to remove the plug boot at the plug itself) and connected my timing light, then reconnected the plug wire on top of the timing light.

Then I loosened the hold-down clamp. Pulled out the SPOUT plug. Found 10* BTDC on the harmonic balancer and marked it beforehand.

I started the car and aimed the timing light at the balancer. 10* BTDC was not anywhere near the little pointer thing, (IIRC 10*BTDC is supposed to be at the sharp pointer and TDC is supposed to be in the circular part, right?)

If that's true, and I have not done anything wrong so far, the car is timed at somewhere closer to 30*BTDC... at least that's what I'm reading it as.

That doesn't make sense to me. If it was truely that far off, the car should not even run, let alone as well as it does, correct? Just to see what the car would do, I went to rotate the distributor a little bit, but found that it was stuck fast. I loosened the hold down clamp to the point that it was wiggling to make sure it was not inhibiting the distributor whatsoever. Still, even with two hands, I could not budge that son of a bitch at all. I attempted to twist it to the point that I was getting afraid I might break the cap. Would not move at ALL. I timed this car ~6 months ago and I was able to freely rotate the distributor by hand back then.

Am I missing something? What the Christ is happening here?

dont worry about the circle... just use the pointer and the 10* mark. reminded me now that i have to go out and set damian's timing on his brown Grand Marq.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Even so... this was like a good 20-30* off and still running relatively fine, and I could NOT rotate the distributor.

Comment

sounds like the distributor might have been out and not put back in correctly positioned.
        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

It's never been out or messed with besides timing while it's been in my ownership (2.5 years), and like I said, six months ago it rotated fine.

Comment

Or the balancer spun, making your timing marks worthless. Check for cracks in the rubber between the inner and outer ring on the damper. If its cracked or the rubber is pushed out, the balancer is shot.

Distributor probably just stuck from some rust up top. There is a hex shaped area on the bottom you can possibly get a wrench on. Soak it down with some PB blaster from up top and see if you can get a wrench on it to turn.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X