how do i adjust for altitude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i adjust for altitude?

hey guys it's been a while since i posted last.(cars been working to good) i just moved from missouri to arizona. there happens to be a large discrepency in altitude and the car don't like it. the car is an '84 vicky 5.0L with the crappy half carb half fuel injection throttle body system. since i moved here(drove the hole way.) the car has been running ULTRA RICH. i might as well have and injector installed in the tail pipe. when i come to a stop light i may as well stick my head in a gas tank the fumes are so bad. i've looked for a leak,but none are to be found. the gas smell is definately from the tail pipe. i just got a new motor put in this car and i don't want this to wash out the cylander walls. plus this baby is killing me at the pump with gas at 3.75 a gallon. i'm getting like 13 mpg. how do i go about adjusting this so it runs much leaner? if the car is suposed to adjust automatically it's not. so i need a way to manually do it. any suggestions????thanks.
    sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Originally posted by raser13 View Post
    hey guys it's been a while since i posted last.(cars been working to good) i just moved from missouri to arizona. there happens to be a large discrepency in altitude and the car don't like it. the car is an '84 vicky 5.0L with the crappy half carb half fuel injection throttle body system. since i moved here(drove the hole way.) the car has been running ULTRA RICH. i might as well have and injector installed in the tail pipe. when i come to a stop light i may as well stick my head in a gas tank the fumes are so bad. i've looked for a leak,but none are to be found. the gas smell is definately from the tail pipe. i just got a new motor put in this car and i don't want this to wash out the cylander walls. plus this baby is killing me at the pump with gas at 3.75 a gallon. i'm getting like 13 mpg. how do i go about adjusting this so it runs much leaner? if the car is suposed to adjust automatically it's not. so i need a way to manually do it. any suggestions????thanks.
    You don't 'adjust' the CFI for altitude. More than likely, you have a MAP sensor (which is what this sensor does) that took a dump, or is dying, or possibly an O2 sensor going out. My first guess is the MAP sensor, however.

Comment

i would think so to but the car ran great in missouri. then as i drove across country and started hitting the mountains, thus climbing altitude, she started running rich. i was told that it can take a day or so for it to adjust itself but it's been three weeks. i wouldn't have thought that a map or 02 sensor would die just because i climbed in altitude. but i'll check 'em any how thanks. any other sugestions?
      sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

Originally posted by raser13 View Post
        any other suggestions?
        Check vacuum lines.

Comment

pull trhe battery cable and reset the ECM to defaults. It might just fix it. The MAP doubles as a baro sensor. It reads that info just prior to startup. Might not hurt to turn the key to 'on' for a couple seconds before cranking so it learns that info too.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

you sure the timing chain isnt just worn out and the motor cant keep decent timing?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
              you sure the timing chain isnt just worn out and the motor cant keep decent timing?
              +1
              The OE timing chain cogs are plastic in lopo 5.0's and can prove to be problematic at times
              R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
              Originally posted by MeanVic84
              Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Working...
              X