Confirming buildup of towing motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirming buildup of towing motor

I've been learning a lot in my short time here, and I just want to confirm that I'm going down the right path with my parts collecting. Trying to build the wagon for towing, and keep the motor alive in current form until I can gather the needed parts.

I just put a bid on some flowtech headers that I see some other members here running, so figure those will work. From there I know I'll have to get custom with the O2 sensors and I'll plan on custom exhaust from there back (along with a mustang H-pipe)

I'm also on the lookout for E7 or GT40 heads. Trying to find some that have just been refurbished and person they decided to ditch them. GT40P heads require special headers that I don't have or want to look for, so staying away from those.

F150 camshaft and a Mark VII computer. 19 lb-hr injectors.

Just want to confirm I'm on the right track, any other parts I should pick up for a solid towing motor? Thanks again!
    1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Just buy a low mileage 1996 Explorer motor and you will have most of the parts you need all for one low price.......

Comment

I'd second the Explorer thought. P headers aren't that expensive in all honesty, I wouldn't rule out a set of P heads just based on the header requirement.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

so what's the thought on the explorer motor? you guys use your intakes, computers, fuel injection, and then the explorer motor from the heads down? or do you grab an entire explorer motor and modify the wiring to work? or do you grab the entire explorer motor and computer?

I'm in the process of putting an LS series motor in my S10 blazer, and holy nightmere. all the wiring and computer mods to make it work are KILLING me. I'm getting nickel and dimed to death on it, which scares me about the explorer motor.

But if I can just drop an explorer motor in that does sound a lot easier. Easier than rebuilding the current unit... I'll do a search here to see if I can learn more info, this idea didn't come up in my original post on the subject so I haven't been searching on it at all.

Thanks again and I appreciate the money saving advice! Feel free to point me towards threads which discuss this swap.
        1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Comment

Toss the harness out....... Use the intake on down including the throttle body.. You just need a EGR spacer from a car and toss the Explorer elbow... Injectors are 19#'rs....
          FRPP stainless basic headers are the ticket.....

Comment

Need to use a stock type oil pan, oil pickup, and the stock timing cover and water pump. The Explorer pieces are not compatible with the Panther accessories. Oil pan is identical to any 5.0 Fox or Panther, and new ones are not that expensive.

Wiring would be the stock Panther wiring harness, needs no mods. . Distributor would be the original from your current motor, or one from another car with an 86+ engine. Mark VII ECM plugs in right in place of the stock ECM. You'd also use the stock fuel rail with the Explorer's injectors.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll keep my eyes on the salvage yard and watch for a low mileage unit! thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X