estimated time for intake gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

estimated time for intake gaskets

my main driver (Sandy) my 1987 tan Grand Marq developed a bad oil leak and was wondering about time amount to repair. i know i am going to have to pull the plenum, but thinking i can unbolt the lower intake with fuel rail and lines connected still and lift out of the way. i am thinking the rear intake gasket blew out since it stated suddenly and under carriage of Sandy is now coated in rust protecting oil. i am trying to get an idea about time estimates by using just regular wrenches and ratchets and sockets. if needed, i will just pop the fuel rail off the intake with injectors. thanks for help in advance.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

It will be hard to do it with the lower intake still attached to the fuel lines and stuff. How will you be able to clean the gasket surfaces? That's the only problem I see.

Comment

if i have to i will unbolt the fuel rail to get it out for proper cleaning. i have werked in a regular shop and watched the mechanic have a bungee hold the intake up while having a cover over the engine to keep debris out. guess this gives me reason to clean up the last H.O. plenum i have and paint to get installed.

Comment

The fuel line connector tools are a whopping 5-7 bucks to by and save a lot of headaches.

I'd say 6 hours to do it.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
          The fuel line connector tools are a whopping 5-7 bucks to by and save a lot of headaches.

That's about right. I did mine, but took my sweet time with it. And that was with seperating everything. I took GUNK engine cleaner to the manifolds, and valve covers, and let them soak for a couple of hours, while I took care of everything under the hood. NOW is an excellent time to change out the PCV valve, and screen. Don't bother cleaning the old screen, for 6 bucks you can get a new one, and be done with it.
          Mike

Comment

yeah its a decent day of work. Disconnect the fuel lines, you'll spend more time fighting with the fuel rail and hoping to not break it than its worth.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post

take your time don't rush or you might have to do it again. that's about how long me and mike took when we did my car

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

I just did mine, I'd say 5-6 hours. I dont know what the labour manual quotes. I couldnt imagine doing it with the fuel lines still attached. Cleaning off those old gaskets sucks hardcore, and its not something you can really half-ass. I'd say I put an hour into cleaning all the mating surfaces. Theres an eylet attached to a wire on the back left hand side of the manifold, and both lowers I've taken off I've had that eyelet break. And of the manifold bolts that have a stud on top of them (5 of them IIRC, 2 for the coolant tube on the right side of the motor, 2 for the braces for the acc brackets, and one on the back left hand side) will probably be rusted together, and will have to be seperated afterwards with pentrating fluid, a wrench and vicegrips. But then you gotta look at all the other stuff you might as well change while you have that much stuff un-bolted from the engine, like t-stat, t-stat housing gasket, pcv valve, grommet, filter, valve cover gaskets, plenum gasket, tv grommet. Pete made a tech article from all the stuff I posted when I did mine, and I have the torque specs for everything in there too, you have to torque the lower intake similar to torquing a cylinder head, and in two steps, and your supposed to re-torque it after a heat up and cool down cycle, which requires removing the upper again. Good luck Jim.
                sigpicVic Videos Here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...676#post243676
                Vic's Reader's Rides Page http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16917
                Vic's Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532949
                1975 Chevy C-10 Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3371894

Comment

6 hours tops, with vacuum line replacement and rerouting as necessary. I can do a desmogged carbed SBC intake in about an hour tho, from running to running condition

Comment

And replace the thermostat while you've got the intake looking at you. Its so simple with it off its hard not to do it.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i have changed the plenum gasket already, changed valve cover gaskets with perma dry gaskets, already swapped the TV bushing to the car, installed the new pcv and screen in the car... just need to do the lower intake

Comment

Originally posted by PICKUP6772 View Post
                        NOW is an excellent time to change out the PCV valve, and screen. Don't bother cleaning the old screen, for 6 bucks you can get a new one, and be done with it.
                        Mike
                        order a new screen before you plan on starting this. i had to special order mine from checker auto and it took a week to get it. seems people around here dont change them much even though you see boxes all over the place here.
                        '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

i ended up oredering in 5 of the PCV screens when i originally installed a screen in my car. that way i could have extras for the other Panthers here. i try to buy extra parts for the cars to have on hand here at home when money gets low. i was never a Boyscout, yet when it comes to these cars, i try to be prepared. IIRC i think i have a full timing gear set, timing chain cover gasket and intake gasket set still in the trunk of one of the cars. it gets hard to keep track of the extra parts i have that i get.

Comment

Originally posted by 91LTDProject View Post
                            I just did mine, I'd say 5-6 hours. I dont know what the labour manual quotes. I couldnt imagine doing it with the fuel lines still attached. Cleaning off those old gaskets sucks hardcore, and its not something you can really half-ass. I'd say I put an hour into cleaning all the mating surfaces. Theres an eylet attached to a wire on the back left hand side of the manifold, and both lowers I've taken off I've had that eyelet break. And of the manifold bolts that have a stud on top of them (5 of them IIRC, 2 for the coolant tube on the right side of the motor, 2 for the braces for the acc brackets, and one on the back left hand side) will probably be rusted together, and will have to be seperated afterwards with pentrating fluid, a wrench and vicegrips. But then you gotta look at all the other stuff you might as well change while you have that much stuff un-bolted from the engine, like t-stat, t-stat housing gasket, pcv valve, grommet, filter, valve cover gaskets, plenum gasket, tv grommet. Pete made a tech article from all the stuff I posted when I did mine, and I have the torque specs for everything in there too, you have to torque the lower intake similar to torquing a cylinder head, and in two steps, and your supposed to re-torque it after a heat up and cool down cycle, which requires removing the upper again. Good luck Jim.
                            yeah those eylets are for the grounds to the o2's

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Working...
                            X