Another exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another exhaust question

Good day, I have read through many exhaust threads on here but i cant quite seem to decide what to do, 1987 crown vic wagon with single exhaust atm. The cats are rattling from the inside and the flanges are going on them, Im looking at swaping the entire exhaust system when i pull the engine to change the oil pan sometime in the near future, with a strict budget in mind and wanting a quiet exhaust what is my best bet for gaining some horsepower/fuel economy?

2.25" dual from manifolds back is good. Or stock replacements from the headers to the cats and 2.25" dual back from the cats back.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

what size are the stock mustang headers?

Comment

Small, but better than the cast manifolds... Poke around for exhuast threads/info. There has been tons of them.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Mustang stock headers are also a fair bit lighter than the iron pieces of junk, so there is that benefit too.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mustang headers, 2.25" piping all the way back and any cheap turbo style mufflers flow better then stock and are just a little louder then stock mufflers. An offroad H-pipe is cheap too without the cats and with turbo mufflers it still won't be loud without cats.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

2.25" pipes all the way until just in front of the rear wheels maybe. anything to eliminate that crap they had going over the rear axle will help.
              '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Mustang stock headers are also a fair bit lighter than the iron pieces of junk, so there is that benefit too.
                +1 ... and cheap .... far less ugly .... and WAY easy to install. Even I can do it!

Seriously, the 2.5" stuff seems to be easier to come by, but I've been constantly battling excessive exhaust noise on my wagon (as torquelover has pointed out, the back of the car is like one huge echo chamber for any interior resonance you pick up), so I can't really recommend a 2.5" dual exhaust with headers and no cats if you want to hear yourself think. Do you know yet how much power you're looking to make down the road? Dual 2.25" is supposed to be sufficient for quite a lot of what's out there ... in fact, one of my systems on an engine that ought to make about 250hp I really want to "downgrade" to a 2.25" crossover pipe if I ever have the extra bucks to do so, even if it means scouring catalogs for adapters and mandrel bends so I can piece it together at home. Direct-replacement Mustang H pipes really do work (I even have Mustang tailpipes on my car because I didn't know at the time to get Impala SS pipes instead), but stuff guys have custom-made for the Panther chassis fits a lot better. Terminating the exhaust ahead of the rear axle is cheap and somewhat easy depending on how you do it, but tailpipes exiting all the way to the back help with the noise issue as well.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

my vic has 2.5" with no cats......it's fairly tame sounding

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

torquelover's car is relatively quiet inside too, and he even has the original Flowmaster 40 Series on it, and no crossover pipe! Granted, I found out his tails are only 2.25" ... and oddly, he says it's a bit louder since he added cats with 2.25" downpipes instead of the 2.5" that had been on there. I'm definitely planning to try out his suggestion that welding stuff up raises the system's resonant frequency, reducing the annoying resonance I've been whining about since forever.

Comment

welding up the entire system......good idea.....i welded some of superlincolns exhaust (it drones a bit at certain rpm's) but i did not weld it all because i had a not so good welder at the time.....it's even got two cats, an x pipe, two mufflers, and two resonators. i'll have to try welding up the remaining clamped joints, and see if that helps

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

You have your resonators out back like I do? What type of mufflers do you have for resonators? I want to eventually replace these cheap glasspacks with something better (and shorter) ...

I was thinking about maybe brazing the system instead of welding, since that's easier to undo. Might be expensive with my tiny torch, though.

Comment

it has a pr of summit glasspacks directly behind the impala ss tailpipes....also has summit polished stainless turbos and a bassani catted x pipe and motorsport ceramic headers.....you'll have to watch for pics....doing the control arm bushings.....got the bolts freed on two arms and i got one out.....neck kinked again ugha

Comment

peoples opinions of loud vary quite a bit it seems.
                            Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

That's true. It was funny to see Michael covering his ears when I gave the POS a few revs.

Scott, your exhaust setup sounds awesome. Hopefully I can see your car in person some day.

Comment

Working...
                              X