Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 "little" problems

Hi,
    after i put in my new engine, the car idles good, but it has massive vibrations, like an unbalanced converter on the tranny... the whole car bounces up and down in the speed of the engine spinning...
    what could that be?

and the water pump... i thing i damaged it while we where putting in the engine... but its not leaking, its flowing.... if you fill in the water in the radiator, it comes out in the same way... you can say it flows out of the holes in the pump... hmm... i hope this is only the pump (iīve got the old one from the first engine, this one is in good condition and it doesnīt leak)
    is it difficult to change the pump when the engine is in the car?

greets
    chris
    Living in a Box

Not difficult at all. But that new pump is indeed defective!

Check the harmonic balencer for visible damage, separation, etc...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

oh, thanks a lot.

ok, the balancer looks like scrap... the rubber is broken all around.. the balancer on my old engine looks much better.

but: the new engine idles so silent, that you can hear the starter spinnig when he is out of the flywheel when the engine starts firing up.

and the next problem: the engine isnt full with coolant, so i let it only idle for a minute, but the exthaust pipes starts to glow... i think i need help again!
      Living in a Box

Comment

ok, i forgot to mention that we welded 2 catalysts from a lexus rx 400h instead of the original ones theyīre located after the pre-cats. (we welded new pipes on each side, so that we increased the inlet and outlet diameter for the converters which gives the right flow) but it still gets very hot after a minute idling...
        perhaps it depends on the low coolant level in the engine (loss of coolant = hotter heads = hotter exthaust gases?)
        Living in a Box

Comment

I'll bet you got the firing order wrong....
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

And if the headers are glowing.... the timing is either way off or your fuel mixture is way off. Or a combination of all of it being off.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

If the balancer is really in bad condition, it can spin, which causes the timing marks to not be accurate. Also, if there is no coolant in the engine, you probably should not be running it for very long at all. Water pump isn't that bad to do in the car, just need to remove the accessories from the front of the engine. Its time consuming, but not really difficult.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

oh... firing order.... let me look

yesterday night i checked the balancer, the rubber is in bad condition, but only outside, you canīt move it by hand. but iīll look for a new one.

so i read some threads about changing the waterpump. it looks not to difficult. iīve got the right tools in our shop.
                btw: are the bolts for the pump metric or imperial?
                Living in a Box

Comment

Originally posted by Chris84 View Post
                  so i read some threads about changing the waterpump. it looks not to difficult. iīve got the right tools in our shop.
                  btw: are the bolts for the pump metric or imperial?
                  imperial. Nothing larger than a 5/8" though if memory serves. Balancer uses a 15/16" socket.

Firing order will be on the fan shroud. There are two different ones for the 302 depending what it came from though. What is your engine out of ?
                  Last edited by gadget73; 04-21-2008, 11:09 PM.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the engine is out of a crown vic from 1988.

perhaps i put 2 sparkwires on the wrong plug... perhaps 5 to 8... today iīve got the time to look.

and we donīt set the timing yet, just put the distributor in, so that the #1 plug sparks, when the piston is at tdc... approx...

but... if the balancer is loose on his rubber thing... than itīs difficult to set the timing correct...
                    Living in a Box

Comment

ok, you're fine then as far as the correct firing order.

yeah definitely swap the balancer and get the timing set. It will probably resolve the problems.

Comment

after a long time, i changed the water pump and all hoses.
                        now the car is dry, no more coolant drops out anywhere.

yesterday i checked the calibration, but it has the same firing order as the old engine, and the spark wires are in the right order...
                        the balancer itself looks ok, the timing marks are on the correct place.

but this vibrations are still there... i canīt imagine what it could be... perhaps a bent flywheel, but this spins perfectly round...
                        or it is the torqueconverter... but what... or has it adjustment marks? when i put the tranny in, i just screwed the converter on the flywheel.

or can it be, that the crankshaft has a "dent", because some stupid guys used the balancer to keep the engine down, while the transmission was not in its bracket...
                        in this case i had to hear some sounds out of the bearings, shouldnt i?

chris
                        Living in a Box

Comment

I am going to recommend that you compare your car's firing order to that of a mustang 5.0 V8 from the same year, and see which firing order you actually have there (the standard output engines have a different firing order than the high output engines). My bet is either you have a Mustang cam in it, or the firing order you are using is for the Mustang.

Mustang 5.0 V8 firing order:
                          1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

Crown Vic firing order:
                          1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

Comment

i donīt put an HO engine in it, it was only an engine-swap between a 1988 crown vic parts car and my station wagon (1989)
                            but... is there a difference between 1988 and 1989 firing orders? my haynes book says the firing order is the same (iīve compared the calibration sticker and the other one on the fan shruds)
                            Living in a Box

Comment

Originally posted by Chris84 View Post
                              i donīt put an HO engine in it, it was only an engine-swap between a 1988 crown vic parts car and my station wagon (1989)
                              but... is there a difference between 1988 and 1989 firing orders? my haynes book says the firing order is the same (iīve compared the calibration sticker and the other one on the fan shruds)
                              No, there is no difference. However, why was the engine taken out of the other car?

Comment

Working...
                              X