Idle problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle problems

this morning i start up my car and it starts and it was idling at like 300 rpm but yesterday it ran fine. It would rev up just fine but it would still idle like shit.
    What would cause this?

change in weather......is it ok after its warmed up and driven a bit?

could try cleaning the idle air control valve it might be sticky

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

CFI mang

Sounds like the choke didn't come on. Did you set the choke by pumping the gas once before you started it? Did it run fine once it was warm?
      1990 Country Squire - under restoration
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

What year car do you have? Would be of great help if you put that in your sig, things are different year to year.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

His car is an '85 I believe.
          1990 Country Squire - under restoration
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yeah its an 85 and yeah i pumped the gas.
            Where is the iac valve located?

Comment

Originally posted by nnmnu View Post
              yeah its an 85 and yeah i pumped the gas.
              Where is the iac valve located?
              there is no spoon......sorry thought u had an 86 or a 87

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

i just had it warmed up and it seemed to idle alright. And what would it be if it doesnt have this spoon?

Comment

CFI cars use a throttle kicker and a high idle cam operated off a choke coil. If the high idle linkage is sticky, it won't flip down to keep the idle up as the engine warms. Basically if you happen to know anything about carb choke systems, you can figure out a CFI unit. Same sort of choke setup.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

so if I lube all of that up itd be ok?

Comment

If thats the problem. Probably want to use carb cleaner to dissolve any gunk thats built up.

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X