API SL to SM Oil Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

API SL to SM Oil Problems

I'm I the only one in the world who gets death sounds coming from motors after I change the oil from SL to SM?

I switched the Ranger over about the time SM came out. Immediately, the 4-banger started making a new sound - like a wet sloshing. I posted on several Ranger forums and no one had any recommendations. I've put 15K miles on it since and it still has the sound, but it runs fine and oil pressure is fine.

I switched the wagon over this weekend. Now it has a loud grinding sound for the first five minutes of running. It sounds horrible. I use Pennzoil conventional 10W-30. It's still holding 25psi of oil pressure hot.

I just would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. I know roller lifter engines aren't supposed to care if they get SL or SM.
    Last edited by Tiggie; 04-13-2008, 06:41 PM.
    1990 Country Squire - under restoration
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I've heard of increased flat tappet failures with more recent oil formulations, something with the removal of zinc from the oil but I don't know about roller motors. I haven't noticed any new weird noises from my car or truck with recent oils tho.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

whats SL and SM???
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Explaination: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/API.html
        sigpic
        https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
        1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
        1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
        2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
        2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

So I'm the only one... somehow I figured that.

I'll get a sound clip later this week and maybe you all can help me out with some recommendations. It just sounds aweful.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Never noticed a difference with my 4.6.

As for the flat tappet cam failures a few years ago the EPA made everyone remove zinc from their oil. Just recently diesel oil has removed their zinc also so the days of running Rotella 15w40 in your hot rod is over. However cam companies are producing additives to combat the issue.
            R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
            Originally posted by MeanVic84
            Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Okay, got the video. It's Windows Media, so some of you without Windows might not be able to view it. I have an .avi version too, but it's 249MB...

You can really start to hear the noise well about 30 seconds into the video.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Hard to tell just by listening to the video, but it kind of sounds to me like a collapsed lifter or three.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I'd agree with that guess, worn out lifters tend to click and rattle a bit. You're not by chance running some really thin oil are you? That could also contribute to funny noises in an old motor.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Running Pennzoil 10W-30. I was running Mobil 10W-30 before the oil change and the motor ran really quiet.

It just bothers me that there was not even a hint of this sound before the oil change. I may change it back to Mobil.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Anyone have any recommendations on an oil additive? I'd like something that gave me the zinc back and didn't make the oil thicker.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

I've had good luck with the 4 qts. Mobil One 10w-30 and one bottle of the Lucas. The Lucas is probably a waste, a little expensive, and I'm pretty sure it will make the oil a little thicker. Been doing the Mobil/Lucas combo for awhile now but I may try one change without the Lucas. I think you would do alright just running Mobil One 10w-30. I had heard about "miracle additives" that supposedly add metal to worn engine parts (zinc?) but I don't think thats possible. What was the zinc's purpose in the oil in the older formulations?
                        sigpic
                        1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                        Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
                          What was the zinc's purpose in the oil in the older formulations?
                          Generally from what I've heard, it helps protect flat tappet lifters and cams (especially during break in).

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

This is true; it acts as a "cushion" from what I've read. Lots of magazines I have been reading lately have been focusing on the issue of changes in oil composition; I have found it to be interesting reading. Zinc is important as an antiwear component as well, especially on older engines.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                            X