No announcement yet.

single 2.5 good for a lo-po

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoot, I got quoted $450 for duals in the next town over (no muffler shops in this one horse town)
    That was, however, from the manifolds back, eliminating the cats.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Hm. Not all that bad, considering. Ford wanted like $660 from the cats back using parts from NAPA, twice that if they used original Ford parts. Specs on your planned system?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

2 1/4 all the way out. they wanted to put some off brand mufflers on it (Ravin, I think) I told 'em Naw, I'll bring my own in!
        People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by fordktpjoe View Post
          Shoot, I got quoted $450 for duals in the next town over (no muffler shops in this one horse town)
          That was, however, from the manifolds back, eliminating the cats.
          i paid 450 for 2.5" single exhaust on my v8 volvo......it was sposed to get duals but the guy claimed there was no room......do it yourself....parts arent that bad

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If you lived close to me i'd send you to my guy, he charged me 40 bucks to get a 3" pipe installed where my cat used to be so I imagine removing the cats and putting in a stock H-pipe and some turbo mufflers would run you probably around 200-250 bucks a,d it's a top quality job, he's a real good welder.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
              i paid 450 for 2.5" single exhaust on my v8 volvo......it was sposed to get duals but the guy claimed there was no room......do it yourself....parts arent that bad
              Hmmm...how's a 302 HO sound through one outlet? Probably pretty unique. Any media available to hear it?

Comment

I put a brand new dual exhaust system on my '88 Town car for under $300 when I did the work myself. I got a LH tailpipe and H-pipe from a local wrecker who had it for his own car and never installed it....the rest was brand new including the Cherry Bomb Turbo mufflers, hangers, clamps, and chrome tips. With no heat/welder it took about 4 hours to remove the old single exhaust and install the new duals. maybe it's just me, but dual exhaust and V-8s go together like peas and carrots.
                Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah. I have a little money in my exhaust, but it's not outrageous. Let me think...

Flowtech headers, $150
                  PaceSetter X pipe, $150
                  Flowtech intermediate pipes, $20 off eBay
                  Misc. extra tubing and clamps ~$20
                  Flowmaster mufflers (overpaid at AutoZone), $180
                  (previously ran $40 worth of economy replacement mufflers)
                  2.5" Mustang tailpipes, $80
                  "resonators" (31" glasspacks), $34

So even with relatively pricey (for me) brand-new parts and not always going the very cheapest way possible, I probably have under $650 currently under the car, and I think it sounds good and performs very well.

Let's see ... theoretical budget system based on prices I've seen:

Factory Mustang headers, $30
                  Used Summit H-pipe, $75
                  Flow tubes, $20
                  Adapters and clamps, $20
                  Economy mufflers, $40
                  Impala tailpipes (new), ~$70

So yeah, that's considerably under $300 for a complete exhaust that performs a great deal better than stock on a modified engine.

Comment

i finally cut of what was left of my mufflers last weekend and left it at that. all i have now are cats and about 3 1/2 feet of poorly bent 2 1/4" pipe on each side. sounds alright and not really loud at all for less than $20 in parts. i'll finish later...
                    '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      Flowtech headers, $150
                      PaceSetter X pipe, $150
                      Flowtech intermediate pipes, $20 off eBay
                      Misc. extra tubing and clamps ~$20
                      Flowmaster mufflers (overpaid at AutoZone), $180
                      (previously ran $40 worth of economy replacement mufflers)
                      2.5" Mustang tailpipes, $80
                      "resonators" (31" glasspacks), $34
                      Embarrassing Hondas at stoplights in a 4000 pound station wagon, priceless.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Now I just need me some deeper gears and some Hondas to embarrass when the local cops aren't looking ....

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
                          Embarrassing Hondas at stoplights in a 4000 pound station wagon, priceless.
                          one of my favorite hobbies...
                          '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

I'll embarass local Hondas worse when I get a limited slip 4.10 rear put in and a new alt. My truck already sounds mean, it just needs the bite to back up the bark.

Oh and a single 2.5" for a stock lopo is fine, will be good for torque like they said. But again that may be expensive. You can find stock 2" duals from the junkyard and it'll fit perfectly so it's the cheapest exhaust upgrade you can get, and it'll be better for torque with the stock motor.
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                            X