Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

brake lines & now the ebrake cable is broke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake lines & now the ebrake cable is broke!

Hello, my car is dead. My lines poped for the 2nd time a few weeks ago. So I need to get a new line from the junction to the master cylinder. What is the size is the line? What fitting is used at the junction box in the rear and the master cylinder?

Today I tryed to move it, fire it up and put it in reverse with my foot on the ebrake. Soon as I pull out the cable snaps and my foot hits the floor. So now I have no brakes HELP!
    Stock 91 Merc GM GS 5.0L EFI, AOD, 2.73 Open diff
    Current Best 1/4 Mile 17.175 = 165 RWHP 190 Engine HP
    http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15193

3/16" line and fittings.....replace all the lines so you dont have this problem....i buy line in bulk and run one piece prop valve to rear hose yopu will need a double flaring tool or use precut lines with ends and unions to join the pieces...the center parking brake cable probably broke or one of the cable retainers broke no biggie

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

+1, replace all the steel line. I'd replace the center rear brake hose too, it bolts to the top of the axle. Once its bad enough to blow in one spot, the rest is usually not far behind. Eventually you'll be patching the patches.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        +1, replace all the steel line. I'd replace the center rear brake hose too, it bolts to the top of the axle. Once its bad enough to blow in one spot, the rest is usually not far behind. Eventually you'll be patching the patches.
        x100,000,000. And we mean ALL. Including the hardlines on the rear axle. Good time to ditch the stock prop valve in favor of an adjustable one, too.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

i've never had a problem with a prop valves function.....just one that the idiot light would stay on so i unplugged it lol......must be a rust belt thing

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Yeah, you could well be right. I still kind of appreciate the adjustability of the aftermarket valves, especially after road-testing the '81 with its original unit ... I noticed that now you can even get adjustable prop valves complete with idiot light senders.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

My prop valve is original, still works OK as far as I'm aware. I think it used to put a bit too much pressure toward the back, but the fluid flush seems to have fixed it. Either that, or it was the fact my original rear drum hardware was shot causing the issue, I really don't know (or care).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the info. I ordered the center ebrake line. Its laying on the ground atm. Im going to replace the fuel return line also it looks really bad to. Its leaking now that I messed with it. What size is that line? Is it cheaper to buy both lines in bulk or get those sections+unions?

I found another potential problem. The pumpkin is leaking also, I can smell the stinky grease. Time for a new gasket?
                Last edited by Grandma91quis; 04-09-2008, 07:07 PM.
                Stock 91 Merc GM GS 5.0L EFI, AOD, 2.73 Open diff
                Current Best 1/4 Mile 17.175 = 165 RWHP 190 Engine HP
                http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15193

Comment

the fuel line is 5/16" you can use compression fittings on the fuel lines but do not use compression fittings on brake lines........you can also connect the steel lines with high pressure rubber fuel line and band style clamps (no worm clamps) but you need to put a nipple on the end of the steel line so the rubber soesent push off

Comment

Is the rear leaking from under the cover, or from the front where the driveshaft yoke is? If its the back under the cover, service the rear and seal it back up. Usually there is no gasket, just a layer of black RTV in there. If you've never changed the gear oil, it probably ought to be done just as a maintenance item. If its leaking from the front where the driveshaft yoke is, thats the pinion seal that needs replacing.

Comment

Working...
                    X