Out of ideas gas out of carb.cont from noobie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of ideas gas out of carb.cont from noobie

Sorry to start a new postm but people just stopped giving imputm but that poor mgm is still sitting and im paying someone ina cab mgm to drive me to work, so any help is much abbliges, i will include pics and the most resent updates.

so my friend has left, still couldnd get it going, we bought a brand new ignition box, and its definitly sparking better when we check, but it still wont make the engin take off. there is now a lot less gass comming out of those whole, but a bit is. Just to recap, Swapped the carb,( could still be that, but veru unlikly was working on an mgm like a month ago and physically much better thatn mine), brand new ignition box, new regulator, new altornator, batterry is good, new dist. cap, and rotoe, wires and plugs, As for timeing, maybe the chain snapped becasue we can spin that cap a good bit and even smap the order one each way and it barely saounds different. I really dont want to take it to a garage. but i really donno. there are pics the far right one has a good view of the two wholes infront of the flap on top where the gas is spraying out.
    Attached Files

A real dumb question.

Did you change the fuel filter? What's your fuel pressure looking like?
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

not a dumb question the only reason i know how to do all that is my old 89 need some of it when its alt went. and sorry i didnt; when i broght it up my buddie way saying if it was that clogged we wouldnt get any gas.. Still worth checking???? is it when the gas line hooke up to the carb?

Comment

Have you put a timing light on it to see if its basically where it belongs? The 85 and older cars had a timing set with plastic gears, its possible the plastic all wore off and the chain jumped. That would give you fuel and spark, but it won't run. Hook the timing light up to #1, and make a mark on the balancer at 10 BTDC. Have someone crank the car and see what you have. If you can get the timing mark to line up with the pointer, you're probably OK with the timing chain. If its way off and nobody has removed the distributor, I'm gonna bet the chain jumped.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Leiscustoms View Post
          Sorry to start a new postm but people just stopped giving imputm but that poor mgm is still sitting and im paying someone ina cab mgm to drive me to work, so any help is much abbliges, i will include pics and the most resent updates.

so my friend has left, still couldnd get it going, we bought a brand new ignition box, and its definitly sparking better when we check, but it still wont make the engin take off. there is now a lot less gass comming out of those whole, but a bit is. Just to recap, Swapped the carb,( could still be that, but veru unlikly was working on an mgm like a month ago and physically much better thatn mine), brand new ignition box, new regulator, new altornator, batterry is good, new dist. cap, and rotoe, wires and plugs, As for timeing, maybe the chain snapped becasue we can spin that cap a good bit and even smap the order one each way and it barely saounds different. I really dont want to take it to a garage. but i really donno. there are pics the far right one has a good view of the two wholes infront of the flap on top where the gas is spraying out.
          If you want to see if the chain has snapped, take the valve cover off, and have someone crank the engine, if the springs compress and decompress, then the chain is in tact, but it might have jumped time. Also, does it have spark?

Comment

I do have spark, i did before, but it got much better with all the new parts.
            But since we advanced and retarded the timeing with little or no change. How hard is it to just get in there and check out the timeing chain? And where am i looking for these worn plastic teeth, i replaced the dist. cap and rotor, and as far as we could see all was in order, that is when we lossend the bolt so we could move the ddistributor a little side to side, no change either way, so we messed with moving the wires one and iven two in each direction.

Comment

hopefully getting my hands pn a light tommorrow but if that is the consensis i need some instruction this is my dd and ive dropped more then ive paid for it just in this last week so im ready to get in there. I get this panther roring

Comment

Getting at the timing chain is somewhat involved; it's inside the timing cover, which is what the water pump bolts to. If you want to see if it's excessively worn, take the distributor cap off and turn the engine by hand (socket and a breaker bar) both forward and backward while watching the rotor inside the distributor. If the rotor doesn't start turning as soon as the engine starts turning, the chain is probably pretty worn out.

First thing to check, though, as was mentioned before, is the ignition timing. Throw a timing light on it and see what you've got. After that, it'll be a lot easier to know which direction to go with the troubleshooting process.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

should be able to tell if the chain is broke just by the way it turns over

Comment

k well im waiting on a lighti guess i hope i can get one by tommorrow, nothing else in the mean time ans andvancing and retarding didnd help this issue? could it have slipped that much, all this happend after haveing it parked for maybe 3 hours, no problems befor that driving it all winter, full fluids, just wouldnt start, then the gas, and here i am.. poopcicle

Comment

ill give that hand crank a go in the morning.
                      Could the chain have just snapped, and maybe that is why no ajustments are working?
                      how would i be able to tell, it just doesnt seem to ignite and take off.
                      Last edited by Leiscustoms; 04-03-2008, 09:46 PM. Reason: missed something

Comment

I doubt it completely snapped...that doesn't happen too often. Jumping a couple teeth is possible, though. Does the engine fire at all when you're cranking, or is it just turning over without firing at all?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

If you want to get at the timing chain, you need to remove the fan and fan shroud, power steering pump, alternator, well to sum it up, everything on the water pump's bolts must come off. The water pump itself must come off. Gotta pull the big pully and the balancer it's bolted to, for that you need to get a wheel puller device, once you got that off, you can work at the timing cover. Since you have a carb, the mechanical fuel pump is on the timing cover, I think, I don't know I never worked on a carb'd panther. Remove the 4 front most bolts on the oil pan, there are a few bolts you should be able to see looking at the front of the engine. There may be some on the bottom too, I don't remember. Once all the bolts are out, you can pull the cover off and look at what you got there.

Comment

On the fuel squirting out issue - these are the vents for the fuel bowl, you're having gas leaking from there because the bowl overfills. I'd place my bet on either a worn out needle and seat set, or a float with a pinhole that has sunk to the bottom. Either way you will have to open the carb to investigate, which should be possible without removing the carb off the engine (or at least that's what the pics suggest).

Oh yeah, also where are you located?

Comment

That is yhe new carb seems to be in much better condition,
                              We chcked out inside both, the float seems to be some sort of metal flap, seems to be working fine, if thats not the float then maybe,
                              Ya the engin is turning over and NO it is not fireing,

Comment

Working...
                              X