Parked! Need Vacuum Line Assistance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parked! Need Vacuum Line Assistance.

Okay, so after being gone for a long time (issues with internet connectivity), I have the grand marquis parked. I talked to my girlfriends dad, who is a full time mechanic and he told me that the issue I was having was a direct result of my intake gasket leaking, he also told me that i was more than 60% likely to break off the 4 bolts running through the water jacket on the lower intake. I am now at a point where the weather is clearing up and i am ready to get started on the intake. I figured while i was in there i should get rid of as many vacuum lines as i possibly can. I have a few questions.
    1. The vacuum lines on the 91 GM do not seem to be accurate to MLSC's description on removing the air pump and vacuum lines tutorial. (I removed the A/c and Smog pump belt now i just want to clean up.) Is this different or am i just stupid?
    2. If it is different could someone please help me in the removal of the unnecessary vacuum lines in the engine bay?
    3. Is there any way to properly disable the EGR without codes being thrown and the engine running like crap? (I did a search but could not find a description that i could understand.)
    Thanks guys, I know i don't contribute much but I sure as heck read a lot of this site and you guys seem to know your stuff. Thanks again.
    Jim
    1991 Grand marquis (HO Conv. in Progress)(MARK)
    1978 Marquis For Sale (RUBY)
    1997 Mercury Mountaineer

So you don't want EGR at all? Then tis all real easy - rip out all plastic vacuum lines on the passenger side of the engine, and i do mean all of them, you don't need them as you have nothing to run with them. Leave the electric harnesses plugged in the solenoids and you will not get any codes for them, however there really ain't no way of not getting a code for the EGR short of installing one of these eliminators thingies made for Mustangs. May I was tho, why you wanna get rid of EGR? I'm actually bringing mine back online this summer, the ECM expects to see it working so might as well keep it happy.

Comment

Lets say that i want to keep the EGR then, it seems that the 1991 vacuum hose setup is different. For example; the "tiny red hose" you describe coming forward and out of the intake is a fat rubber one that appears near the oil filler neck. Also it seems that everything that is vacuum controlled is routed to a vacuum assembly mounted to the back of the intake. I will take a picture and put it up here but it is very confusing. Thank you.
      Jim.
      1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Comment

Okay so I got the intake off and i realize that I am a moron. I was looking at the solenoids the whole time. There is a bracket on top of the intake that holds the solenoids. So what i did was disconnect the two that have to do with the smog pump. Then i went ahead an removed them completely from the vacuum assembly in the back by connecting the vacuum hose from the plastic coffee can replacement directly to the EGR And vacuum to Intake hose.
        1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Comment

I think the 91 has the EGR solenoid up by the throttle body, and the other two over on the fender still.

And about those bolts, I've never had an intake bolt snap on a 302. Not to say it doesn't happen but if it does, once you get the intake off its usually not any big deal to get the broken piece out. Usually they only break if the coolant is really poorly maintained. If its not all rusty and nasty, you're probably fine. I actually did the intake on my stock motor, and it had the nastiest coolant I've ever seen. No problems at all with the bolts though. None of the water pump bolts snapped either.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Brownfox520 View Post
            Then i went ahead an removed them completely from the vacuum assembly in the back by connecting the vacuum hose from the plastic coffee can replacement directly to the EGR And vacuum to Intake hose.
            Wait, did you put straight intake vacuum to the EGR valve? It should go like this: intake vacuum -> EVR -> EGR, with the small canister t-eed in between the intake vacuum source and the EVR. Why you do it like that - tis the EVR that controls when the EGR sees vacuum, the EGR itself does have that harness plugged into it but that's just cause it gots a position sensor in it for providing feedback to the ECM. On '90-up cars the EVR is the solenoid on the bracket right next to the EGR valve, so you won't have to run wiring and vacuum piping all over the engine bay - actually I may just do that setup with my car, relocate the EVR to the intake, it will make for a much cleaner looks me thinks.

Comment

Sorry man I mistyped that. I did run intake vacuum to the EVR not the EGR. thank you for the inspiring words about the intake bolts i sure as heck was not looking forward to drilling out 4 holes. I guess i will just be really careful and use lots of pb blaster. I have to say that it is really nice seeing that intake off. I have a hard time understanding what is said to me with technical things but when i see it i understand. Thanks to everyone being patient with me. I appreciate the help guys.
              1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Comment

Working...
              X