whats this?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats this?!

theres gas leaking out a tube that comes out of the rear drivers side wheel well, it seems to be doing it constantly while its running..anyone else hear of this problem? also, what are the symptoms of needing the fuel filter changed? my car dies going down the road, and its not throwing up any codes..

Originally posted by 87ltdjohn View Post
    theres gas leaking out a tube that comes out of the rear drivers side wheel well, it seems to be doing it constantly while its running..anyone else hear of this problem? also, what are the symptoms of needing the fuel filter changed? my car dies going down the road, and its not throwing up any codes..

Sounds like the return line to the tank it runs behind thee plastic inner fender well and up and over the frame to the tank.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

it looks like its supposed to be a drain, or a vent for the gas tank...dont get why gas would leak out of it while i drive, or park it..just tired of the waste and mess in my driveway.

Comment

no, its the fuel return line. it rotted under the A pillar, common place for it to fail. Get that fixed, it should not be leaking. Leave it go too long, and it'll get worse and could cause a fire.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          no, its the fuel return line. it rotted under the A pillar, common place for it to fail. Get that fixed, it should not be leaking. Leave it go too long, and it'll get worse and could cause a fire.
          A-pillar? He said it's in the rear wheel well.

John, do you mean that little tube that sticks out of the wall of the driver's side wheel well? I've been wondering what that thing is for ages... a vent for the filler tube? I've never bothered following it all the times I've dropped my tank.

Comment

its behind the front wheel well plastic inner fender up over the frame to the rear wheel well into the gas tank.
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
              A-pillar? He said it's in the rear wheel well.
              oh, i read it as the rear of the driver's side wheel well, and figured he meant the front which is where they normally spring leaks first.

The fuel line does run on the frame in the back too, right up to about the middle of the wheel, then it goes up over the tank. The lines rot there too.

In any case, it should not be leaking fuel at all. A close inspection of all the steel lines is warranted, and anything that looks questionable ought to be replaced. The brake lines also run near the fuel line, and if the fuel line is shot, the brake lines should be examined closely too.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post

John, do you mean that little tube that sticks out of the wall of the driver's side wheel well? I've been wondering what that thing is for ages... a vent for the filler tube? I've never bothered following it all the times I've dropped my tank.
                I believe that particular tube is to drain water or gasoline from the little trough between the filler cap and the body of the car. Since there's so much rain where I am and wet roads that little tube clogs up with road grime all the time, and after awhile, water builds up right underneath the filler cap. Unclog that tube with a wire, and the water all drains out.
                Originally posted by gadget73
                There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                  I believe that particular tube is to drain water or gasoline from the little trough between the filler cap and the body of the car. Since there's so much rain where I am and wet roads that little tube clogs up with road grime all the time, and after awhile, water builds up right underneath the filler cap. Unclog that tube with a wire, and the water all drains out.
                  Ahhhh, I figured it was some sort of drain for the filler pipe.

Comment

no, its not coming out a leaky, rotted line, theres a tube attatched that exits inside the rear drivers side wheel well, towards the back of the car, and it leaks gas once in a while, i think its supposed to be a vent or something for the gas tank, maybe for over flow...the underneath of me car is pretty much rust free, its from southern missouri, the brake lines, fuel lines are in good condition..

Comment

Originally posted by 87ltdjohn View Post
                      no, its not coming out a leaky, rotted line, theres a tube attatched that exits inside the rear drivers side wheel well, towards the back of the car, and it leaks gas once in a while, i think its supposed to be a vent or something for the gas tank, maybe for over flow...the underneath of me car is pretty much rust free, its from southern missouri, the brake lines, fuel lines are in good condition..
                      I know what your talking about and i do believe its a vent tube.. it's also possible it could be for condensation.

are you sure its pure gas coming from it? or is it watery? i always see little rainbow streaks on wet pavement coming from this area on my car but its not actually leaking any substantial amount of gas though.
                      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post

that sounds about right..

i'd give this a shot if i was you.
                        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

there is a drain in the area of where you add fuel to the car. it connects to the line that leaves out of the fenderwell. when spilled gas is in the area of where you fill it gives it a place to drain instead of collecting in there and making things get filled with water and stuff. it smells like gas due to gas dribble that misses the filler tube and drains from the area. the filler neck and gas tank have nothing to do with the line running out of the rear fenderwell... it is just a drain hose
                          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

ok, i solved it. when ive been filling my car up, for what ever reason, the pump shuts off after it over fills the tank, i think the extra that is left in the filler neck of the tank drains out of that tube...i just wont fill it all the way, and see if that solves it....thanks to everyone that responded..

Comment

Working...
                            X