Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enough bickering.

Yes, its possible to install a 4v.

Yes, you can use a factory cable if set up right.

Yes, you can also use a Lokar cable if you don't want to mess with the factory stuff

Yes, if the pressure is wrong, the transmission can burn itself up. This can happen no matter what sort of TV cable arrangement you are using, so it is very important to be careful. If you're not sure, seek assistance.

ok, settled.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

intake manifold (again)

hey, i changed my mind on the carb i want to get so now i will probably need a different intake manifold. i was originally going to get the edelbrock 1406, but now i found a carb that i think i will be happier with. i want to get a rochester quadrajet. i will need a intake manifold with duel plane spread bore instead of a square bore. where can i find an intake manifold that i can use?

Comment

Why would you jump through hoops just to run a Quadrajet on your car? None of the normal intake choices will be a spread bore. This question has come up before and you are pretty much stuck with a carb adapter if you want to run a Quadrajet on any decent 4V Windsor intake. Ford never ran a spread bore on a 351W. They messed with them in the 70s on Clevelands and 429/460s and learned their lesson. They went back to Holleys exclusively... Run an Edelbrock if you don't like Holleys....

Comment

After I has swapped on my 1406 Edelbrock (which, by the way, is fabulous for a bolt on deal) I did some research as to a slight lean condition i was having. In the process, via several forums, I found several people who had swapped from the Qjet to the 1406, on GM engines. The majority of the people that commented said that they wouldn't have done it again; meaning they preferred the Qjet. The small primaries provided better throttle response, and the fuel mileage of the Qjet was also claimed to be notably better. However, most people I have talked with claim that the Qjet leaves alot to be desired.

I have driven two cars that have had Qjets on a regular basis. Both GM's; one on an Olds, and one on a Buick. Whereas the carburetor may bog a little under hard accleration (hence the Quadra-bog) I find that they generally perform quite well. The Qjet on the Olds has 200K+ on it, without a rebuild. My experience with them has been good, but I've never fiddled with them; just driven cars with them. My Dad (who has rebuilt more than a few) said they could be a PITA at times.

I would still go with the 1406, as I think it'll be easier. It is very easy to tune and play with due to its simplicity. There is lots available for it, and it is a cheaper, simpler alternative to a Holley. Maybe not as effective after tuning (as a well tuned Holley is hard to beat) but if you have limited experience... its the thing to use.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

That's goofy .... sure enough, Summit lists all the typical Offy intakes designed for a Quadrabog on a 289/302, but for the 351W I see only squarebore and Dominator intakes. Why would that be, did Ford use a factory Rochester on a 302 at some point?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              Why would that be, did Ford use a factory Rochester on a 302 at some point?
              No they did not. No spreadbore for a 289/302/351W

Comment

Qjets with proper tuning don't bog. In factory trim, they're designed mostly for economy, not necessarily performance. The ones on musclecars got a different calibration but whats perched on top of a 1985 Olds 307 in a station wagon is definitely not tuned for hot rodding. A lot of the Qjet modifications involve different springs for the accelerator pump and adjustments to the idle circuit to fix the bogging problems.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                  No they did not. No spreadbore for a 289/302/351W
                  Kind of what I expected ... still odd to me that aftermarket spreadbore intakes are available for one Windsor but not another.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Back in the day, you could probably find a spreadbore intake for a Windsor.... These days it is hard to find that kind of stuff.. Piston manufacturers have cut back on offerings for the old engines like the Boss 302 and 390. Supply and demand. If there is no demand, there will be no supply...

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      Kind of what I expected ... still odd to me that aftermarket spreadbore intakes are available for one Windsor but not another.
                      It's quite common that you'll see intakes listed for a 302 but not a 351...there's just more people out there building 302s, so there's more demand for parts for them and hence more variety.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

so my best bet would be the edelbrock 1406 with the performer 351?

Comment

It works well. Click the link in my sig. It moves okay.

Comment

Working...
                          X