Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OVERdrive pulleys?

Hello.

I have been having coolant flow problems with the Hillbilly SUV.
    For a long time I have been having trouble with Herk (aka the Hillbilly Suv) overheating at idle or extended low speed driving...

For the longest time I just thought that my electric fan setup wasn't cutting it, and I would need to upgrade soon.

Well fast forward to a couple of weekends ago.

The thermostat got stuck, so while I had it apart I decided to check coolant flow.
    With the thermostat completely removed and the engine full of coolant, there was only a trickle of flow. If I reved the engine up to around 1000-1500 rpm it gushed. Try it again at an idle, and once again i barely had a trickle...

So I decided to go ahead and put a new pump on it, just in case there was something wrong with the impeller on the original one. (those bolts are a pain to get out after 20 years....)

To my surprise the impeller was in good shape. Since the pump was already paid for (and relatively cheap I went ahead and put in the new one. I put it all back together and tried it out. It is definately better. I have more heat, and the car has yet to overheat. However I can't help but think I still am not getting the flow I should. The upper radiator hose gets warm but not hot, while the car is idling. Rev the motor slightly and it quickly gets to hot to hold onto.

This leads me to an interesting idea. Since this project isn't about high revs and all about low(ish) rpm grunt work, I figure a smaller pulley on the water pump to spin it faster at an idle might not be a bad idea.

Sooooo... Have any of you noticed any cars with a similar yet smaller pulley that might be made to work? I'd rather not get into machining one from scratch if I can help it.

GS
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

sounds more like there is a blockage somewhere
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

yup you should flush the whole system out.. should fix the problem.
      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I have has my suspicions about that too. The radiator looks clean enough inside to eat out of. Also I flushed it a while back and didn't really get anything out of it.
        When it gets warm out I might flush it out again.

At any rate I wouldn't mind haveing the water pump spin a tad faster. I will be pulling a pretty good sized trailer with a lot of heavy crap this summer. I want Herk to stay cool.

Axle codes
        Open/Lock/Ratio #
        -----------------------
        G / H / 2.26
        B / C / 2.47
        8 / M / 2.73
        7 / - / 3.07
        Y / Z / 3.08
        4 / D / 3.42
        F / R / 3.45
        5 / E / 3.27
        6 / W / 3.73
        2 / K / 3.55
        A / - / 3.63
        J / - / 3.85

Comment

and you did replace the thermostat right? if you changed the pump and thermostat and your coolant system isnt plugged, you shouldnt be having any flow problems. if your feeling unsure you could always risk a blast of hot coolant in the face with the new pump to find out

sorry i dont have much experience with pulleys but im sure someone else will chime in on that subject..
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Measure your main pulley. The one on my P72 looks like it's bigger than a 10" sub. If your is smaller, you could find one of the P72 ones.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
              and you did replace the thermostat right? if you changed the pump and thermostat and your coolant system isnt plugged, you shouldnt be having any flow problems. if your feeling unsure you could always risk a blast of hot coolant in the face with the new pump to find out

sorry i dont have much experience with pulleys but im sure someone else will chime in on that subject..
              Yup. I put in a new thermostat, and made sure to get all the air out of the system.
              I didn't check the coolant flow at idle since then. I might try it on saturday if I can get free for a few minutes. (work work work...)

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
              Measure your main pulley. The one on my P72 looks like it's bigger than a 10" sub. If your is smaller, you could find one of the P72 ones.
              Hmmmm... I thought all box panthers had the same pulley. I'll have to do some measuring...

Axle codes
              Open/Lock/Ratio #
              -----------------------
              G / H / 2.26
              B / C / 2.47
              8 / M / 2.73
              7 / - / 3.07
              Y / Z / 3.08
              4 / D / 3.42
              F / R / 3.45
              5 / E / 3.27
              6 / W / 3.73
              2 / K / 3.55
              A / - / 3.63
              J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
                Hmmmm... I thought all box panthers had the same pulley. I'll have to do some measuring...
                Very possible they are all the same, and very huge.

Comment

The crank on these cars is already an overdrive pulley. It flows plenty at idle to keep cool. If you rev the engine you are also generating more heat. Even with my stock radiator I could sit in bumper to bumper traffic for over an hour and not have any problems.

Make sure your electric fan is close as possible to the radiator so that it pulls through the radiator and not around the fan shroud.

Comment

you also might want to box in your radiator so that it only sucks air in from out side the car, and does not recirculate engine compartment air
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

The underdrive pulley made my car even cooler at idle. It does not warm up in the winter like it used to. Barely any heat unless I let it warm up for half an hour. An overdrive would move the water more quickly and give it less time to dissapate the heat in while it's in the rad-making the car even warmer.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The 8BA Flatheads have two water pumps and will overheat on the highway because the water is moving so fast in the engine.

Maybe the thermostat isn't opening fully. Does it flow without a thermostat installed?
                        1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I will garuuntee ya the water pump is half full of air unless you install a bleed as i do in my pumps.
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                            The 8BA Flatheads have two water pumps and will overheat on the highway because the water is moving so fast in the engine.

Maybe the thermostat isn't opening fully. Does it flow without a thermostat installed?

It flowed very poorly at idle .(aka a tiny little trickle) Anything higher and it moved a LOT of coolant. Just a few hundred rpm made a HUGE difference.

I have a new thermostat, and it is opening. I just have the coolant flow issue.

For instance, at low idle I have poor heat. (much better than before though) Rev the engine slightly and you can feel the air coming out of it get a lot warmer. Also the upper rad hose is warm (not hot) at idle. Rev the engine slightly and it immediately gets to hot to hang onto.

All this is with a fully warmed up engine that had been driven hard for a few miles.

As for the flow being too fast, I would think that the thermostat would tend to regulate the flow enough to compensate.

Axle codes
                            Open/Lock/Ratio #
                            -----------------------
                            G / H / 2.26
                            B / C / 2.47
                            8 / M / 2.73
                            7 / - / 3.07
                            Y / Z / 3.08
                            4 / D / 3.42
                            F / R / 3.45
                            5 / E / 3.27
                            6 / W / 3.73
                            2 / K / 3.55
                            A / - / 3.63
                            J / - / 3.85

Comment

Before I got my car it had the same symptoms, the radiator was clogged up and the whole cooling system was basically full of mud. New radiator and extensive flushing took care of the problem. Never did get the coolant to run clean in that engine but it did stop overheating.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X