Low Fuel Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Fuel Light

A few weeks ago my "low fuel" light went on and my fuel guage stopped working. Do I really have to go into the wiring to fix this or is there something else that I am overlooking?

Packman

Uh, sender? Not much for wiring.... Get to go into the gas tank....which is even more fun, and you prolly won't be able to get a new o ring for it...
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

i can get new o rings from the stealership here for around $3 each. i get floats also for around $6. easiest way to see if it is float problem is to reverse the wiring on the sending unit. if the ffloat is bad and you reverse the wiring the fuel gauge will go to the full mark. if you have never changed the float in your tank, it is possible that the float corroded and has a hole and sunk. you dont have to pull the tank to get at the fuel sending unit. the sending unit is located on the front side of the tank facing the rear axle. knock the retaining ring out and be careful with the gas in the tank and dripping from the sending unit as you pull it out. you have t osomewhat twist it to get the thing to maneuver out of the tank. the float looks like a baby keg snapped onto an arm. if you connect the electrical line onto the sending unit with it out, move the arm and see if it shows in you gauge. in any case, it is probably a bad float. hope this helps out.
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Try unplugging the connector on the fuel tank and jumping the pins together. It should make the gauge go to full. This is the connector on the front side of the tank, 2 conductor plug right on the plate. If it goes to full, the gauge and wiring stuff is fine, theres a problem with the float or sender in the tank. If it doesn't go to full, your problem is elsewhere.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks mangs!!! I at least am pointed in the right direction. Eventually I am going to find a new tank, pump, and new lines for the next engine.

Packman

Comment

My ex has the same problem with her 91 GM. Found that its a problem with the guage itself in the cluster. Since, of course, you cant just replace the fuel guage, she just put a post-it note, colored black with a marker, over the light.

Comment

Working...
            X