Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check Engine Light Blinking while in gear??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Engine Light Blinking while in gear??

well,
    more oddness with the '85,
    when stopped at say, a stop light my check engine light flickers on and off and after a while just stays on, then after I take I start driving it turns off and stays off until I come to a stop again.
    then The process just repeats,
    when it does this there are no misfires or any sort of stuttering or any real problems,

so does anyone have any ideas?
    1985 .LTD Crown Victoria
    1986 .LTD Crown Victoria

Both tan

Sounds like you got a wire crossed with a brake line wire to me... Buuut. Dont quote me on that. ( Ive just had it happen before.)
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

that's the replace engine light..........you probably have low oil pressure.....use thicker oil

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

bearings, oil pump, crank, etc... all shot. Time for a new motor.

However, it'll run like that for a loooooooong time.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

bearings prbably worn out. next grade thicker oil and keep driving, just don't beat it mercilessly and keep the oil level where it belongs. Fords go a long time with tired bearings.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well,
            I suppose I'll drive it until it kicks it,
            all the while saving my money,
            Then its exploder motor time.

still didn't do bad for 300 dollars

Suppose I will pick up some 10W 40 tomorrow
            1985 .LTD Crown Victoria
            1986 .LTD Crown Victoria

Both tan

Comment

I had a 91 that had the light on going down the road.... Beat it for 3 months before swapping the motor. I didn't ever blow it up though. And the previous owner drove it like that for a year or two.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Would you have any oil recommendations?
                1985 .LTD Crown Victoria
                1986 .LTD Crown Victoria

Both tan

Comment

Castrol for dino, Mobil 1 or AMSOIL for synthetic works for me.

Comment

at this point it doesnt really matter, Id use 4 quarts cheap oil + one quart Lucas
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
                      at this point it doesnt really matter, Id use 4 quarts cheap oil + one quart Lucas
                      I could go with that. Actually ran some 20W50 in my old 351 (with Lucas as well) trying to keep the knocking under control until I realized that the blowby was just pretty much hopeless. And yeah, it had a flickering Check Engine light as well (that light only monitors water temp and oil pressure).

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                      Castrol for dino, Mobil 1 or AMSOIL for synthetic works for me.
                      From their website, AMSOIL looks like kind of a specialty item and mega pricey. Where have you bought it in the past?
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        From their website, AMSOIL looks like kind of a specialty item and mega pricey. Where have you bought it in the past?
                        Michael is a dealer :smirk:

I do agree on the cheap oil. back when the POS would require 3 quarts every fill up, I had a cheap case of Mobil in the trunk I got cheap at Sam's Club.
                        Last edited by torquelover; 01-16-2008, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                          that's the replace engine light......
                          2000 Grand Marquis LS
                          2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                          1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                          Mercury Owners Group member
                          Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

my 2 door had that same problem when i bought it and drove it from Chicago. 2 months later the oil pump quit on my way home from work and engine i am guessing is toast. got the car home 5 miles with 0 oil pressure. car would still start and drive but better off to get redone
                            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

I had a similar issue with my 88 wagon. I adjusted the idle speed and changed the oil to a thicker grade and no more light. I thought I might be masking the problem, but it spells it out right in the owners manual... "it is normal for the engine light to flicker in idle"

So maybe it's not the death light just yet?
                              sigpic

Ted
                              '88 Merc Longroof
                              Wood stickers rule.

Comment

Working...
                              X