Anatomy of a TFI module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anatomy of a TFI module

i took the module from skippys vic apart to see what was inside, it was no good anyway so what the hell.....now it's easy to see how these little bastards shit the bed all the time.....look at the tiny electronics
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lincolnmania; 01-13-2008, 03:34 PM.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

i remembered when i took my oldone apart... so finiky

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

AFAIK tis the heat that kills those things, when mounted on the dizzy they see lots of it. I've seen these things mounted on a big heat-sink on the firewall of some Tauri, guess that helped to keep 'em from frying

Comment

vibration and heat kills all electronics... Surface mount is acutally better- since there is less mass to vibrate.

I always carry a spare, the removal tool, and a half inch wrench...
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

heat and electronics = bad. something else i was reading, apparently its not a good idea to use silicone di-electric grease on them like the manual says. It doesn't transfer heat effectively. The best stuff to use is actual heat sink compound like any other electronic item uses, or the stuff for a computer CPU. Makes sense to me anyway.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

interesting stuff !

btw, scott. you really need to learn how to take close up pictures. use the Macro button for close up stuff, so its not out of focus. macro button usually has a flower icon.
            Last edited by 88grandmarq; 01-15-2008, 08:02 PM.
            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

just replaced my first one (in six years of having her)last week. put a spare in the trunk when i bought her cause had already heard. got another spare in the trunk already. bought that brass tv grommet also. $5 ford place had them in stock.
              s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/brokebill/
              "Ain't we gonna bury him ?"
              "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms."
              ----outlaw josey wales
              (88 LTD Crown Vic LX-Ruby)

Comment

is that some kind of thermal paste? i wonder if it would be possible to take apart a new one and improve it before you even install it.

thx for posting this its pretty neato..
                Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I wonder what would happen if you took one and epoxied the shit out of it....would that even help any?
                  YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/attachme...1&d=1200252594

is that some kind of thermal paste? i wonder if it would be possible to take apart a new one and improve it before you even install it.

thx for posting this its pretty neato..
                    Should be. If all else fails, you can buy some at Radio Shack.

My Duralast HEI module came with a little packet of thermal goo right in the box with it. Made life a little easier, which I appreciated.

+1 on CD's question.... heat and vibration aren't good for electronics, but if it's sealed poorly that won't help either.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                      interesting stuff !

btw, scott. you really need to learn how to take close up pictures. use the Marco button for close up stuff, so its not out of focus. macro button usually has a flower icon.

polo!
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

:lol:

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Scott? That is one sexy thumbnail, feller.

Comment

whats a good tfi module to buy

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the later t-birds used an extension harness to place the TFI elsewhere....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Working...
                              X