Bent axle splines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bent axle splines?

Just thought I'd ask since I have not seen anyone bring this up yet. When I lunched my trans, I had a hard time getting the driveshaft out of the trans. Turned out the splines on the trans output shaft and the splines on the driveshaft were bent, like a candy cane. Sorry, I don't have a pic of this, just wondered if this has happened to anyone else.

Not that I know of. I'll bet uslydawgs got a bit messed up when he blew the diff apart though. I've worn out the spines on a pinion though...
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Its possible if you put enough power through them, but I don't think its all that common. Usually the end where the C clip is breaks and the axle shoots out before it twists. I guess maybe some of the Mustangs with big power and C clip eliminators could twist the axle splines like that, but generally they've upgraded to 31 spline aftermarket axles before they get to that point.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sorry for the misleading title. It was the splines on the driveshaft, not the axles. This probably happened when I blew apart the rearend.

Comment

oh, the splines on the driveshaft coupler where it slides into the transmission. yeah i've heard of that happening, usually happens when some sort of abnormal load happens. neutral drops, rears exploding, something like that.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, that's what happened. It took forever to get the driveshaft out of the trans. Thankfully it came out before we gave up and bolted on a slide hammer. Who knows what carnage would have ensued?

Comment

Working...
            X