predator tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

predator tuners

anyone ever use one of those predator mass air flow tuners? ive seen a lot of adds for them in ford magazines and some of the project cars were tuned with them so i was wondering if we could use them if we convert to mass air? i think itd be a nice way to tune the car if we could.

I don't see a reason why not.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

it's a halfassed way to tune though. There is so much else going on that needs tuning for the best drivability and power.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

What he said. The "calibrated" MAF meters just feed a modified output signal to the computer to trick it into firing the injectors different lengths of time based on how big the injector is. The ECM still thinks its firing the stock injector, and you get stock timing curves with it. Usually people with those setups end up with odd drivability problems. It also seems like the quality control and accuracy on those aftermarket meters is sometimes questionable.

I don't mean to thump stock parts, but usually better results can be had from a production Ford MAF and a proper tune on the ECM with something like the TwEECr. The production MAF meters are very consistent, which is always a good thing. Using some larger other-application meter just involves loading up the transfer function for that particular MAF, and programming in the proper injector size. You can also tweak the timing and fuel curves in there to really fine tune things. Its a bit more expensive and definitely more complex, but you can dial and tweak the computer program to get the most out of your combo.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok well i guess htat kinda kills that idea. i figured they were kind of a weak tuning program but wasnt sure.

ive also been debating if its a good idea to use like a 70mm MAF instead of the stock ones as well? i know youll get less restriction to airflow but i wasnt sure if thats all they reall do is let more air through them or if they have a wider monitoring band

Comment

if you're using a stock motor, you can use something like a 4.6 tbird maf, they're 65mm or so. the stock mustang ones are like 55mm, and are actually a restriction.i think the 94-95 mustang maf is 70mm, same as a cobra maf, and they have the right transfer function for a stock engine with an un-moded computer. dont want to get too huge with the maf though or you might have some idle problems. It won't move air fast enough across the meter to give a really accurate reading.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              I don't mean to thump stock parts, but usually better results can be had from a production Ford MAF and a proper tune on the ECM with something like the TwEECr. The production MAF meters are very consistent, which is always a good thing. Using some larger other-application meter just involves loading up the transfer function for that particular MAF, and programming in the proper injector size. You can also tweak the timing and fuel curves in there to really fine tune things. Its a bit more expensive and definitely more complex, but you can dial and tweak the computer program to get the most out of your combo.

You mean just like my setup?

Comment

Predator MAF tuner? I think your meaning the MAFia. The MAFia alters the signal being put out by the MAF. Its mostly used in forced induction apps.

I suggest the Diablosport Delta Chip..Its similar to the flipper chips that Lonnie at BOC tune. I have one I could sell to you if you want it..But you have to have it dyno tuned before you use it.
                R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                Originally posted by MeanVic84
                Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Not that it really matters.... But mass air conversion on 88-91's you get the added benefit of losing cruise control. And unless you are planning heavy mods, it's not needed. My car doesn't really need it. I could swap back to the mark7 ecu and get my cruise back...

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    You mean just like my setup?
                    pretty much, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                      Not that it really matters.... But mass air conversion on 88-91's you get the added benefit of losing cruise control. And unless you are planning heavy mods, it's not needed. My car doesn't really need it. I could swap back to the mark7 ecu and get my cruise back...
                      thats true but im gonna be using a ford performance cam so i need to use a mass air or go carbed

Comment

speed density is tunable. the mark vii ecm can take a chip.

other options include the stand-alone cruise stuff off an earlier car. it will work, but it involves some wiring work.

Comment

Ford performance cam? A ford letter cam? None of those are really good for a heavy car.

I run a better cam and could run SD with a tune....

Comment

Working...
                          X