I need a Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a Carb

Could anybody explain excatly what i would need to convert to a carb. Tired of Cfi's BS. I know i need a distribtour, carb, lokar cable. How would i go by with the freaky ass fuel tank in these cars.

My List i have saved for carb swap is this.

A carb,
    A Intake for that carb.
    A low pressure fuel pump
    A spacer for that carb so not to boil the fuel.
    A New igntion system
    A Lokar for the tv cable
    A book on the tuning a carb.
    A thermostat
    A intake gasket
    A duraspark distributor
    A pickup line
    A CAM

Hope it helps ill paste all my info i have saved if you want.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

if you're looking to use a mechanical fuel pump, you will need to drop the tank and replace the spot where the stock pump was with some 3/8" brake line.
      I noticed that this made the tank have slightly more volume. lol

I tell ya, I love my Demon Carb...pricey, but TOTALLY worth it....I would recommend that to ya.
      sigpic
      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
        if you're looking to use a mechanical fuel pump, you will need to drop the tank and replace the spot where the stock pump was with some 3/8" brake line.
        I noticed that this made the tank have slightly more volume. lol

I tell ya, I love my Demon Carb...pricey, but TOTALLY worth it....I would recommend that to ya.

need to drop the tank if your using any kind of external aftermarket fuel pump.

You prolly have more volume cause the pickup is a bit lower. I purposely did that on both my cars.

Replace all the fuel line to at least 3/8".

Dont need a cam to make it run, but its not much to throw one in while doing it. You would be better off getting a set of e7's or better heads while your at it to go with the cam. Change the valve springs to give you less headaches down the road.

Make sure you get a duraspark II dizzy if going that route, u dont want any points BS dizzy.

Theres a few ways to go for ignition. You could be frugal and just pull an entire duraspark II system out of any 1974+(IIRC) carb car/truck. Coil, module, dizzy and wiring. I think I got some old modules lying around, not sure if they work tho...

You could set up and get an aftermarket ignition, (MSD, Mallory ect). You also need to get a coil to match. And use the duraspark II dizzy. I found thats the easiest and best bang for the buck. Summit has a rebranded Mallory digital unit with a rev limiter for like $130

Or you can go all new and get a new dizzy, theres alot of choices as well as some that have the ignition module in the dizzy... All in one.

Carb spacer isnt required but they do help with vapor lock, preventing the fuel in the bowls from vaporizing, and provide a few extra HP by increasing plenum volume depending on intake choice.

A good 600cfm vac secondary carb will be great. Edelbrock, holley, take your pick. People seem to like the brocks, they are stupid simple and run on anything. I like my holleys tho. I have 2 of the same holleys for sale if your interested. Both 4160's with electric choke.

Lokar TV cable and 24in throttle cable with the bracket and return springs makes a nice setup.
        Last edited by Mercmarquis; 01-08-2008, 03:19 AM.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I run a 1405 600 cfm edelcrock on my 302, converted from CFI to Carb.

I used a stock 84 Mustang GT intake, and 1" phenolic spacer. You'll need to do all that is mentioned above.

for ignition, I went with a duraspark distributor, and an MSD 6AL.

A good few of us guys have done this swap, you're certainly not going down a blind road with this one. Keep us posted, and we will be happy to answer any questions!

Also, a 4bbl carb will really wake that 302 up!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
          X