5.0 HO missfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0 HO missfire

My Mark VII has been running like crap lately. Have asked the mark VII people on lincolns online and have gotten some good suggestions but havent fixed the it yet.

The problem is when the engine is running, if i turn on the defroster, the headlights, or the heater (at least two of those at a time) it runs like crap, missfiring, bucking, idling erratically and the instantaneous MPG's go down to 2 or 3. So far i have cleaned the IAC, and also tried 2 other ones. Cleaned the EGR valve, and tried a second one. Cleaned out the egr filter thing. Cleaned throttle body. Re adjusted the tps into range. Fixed some crispy wiring on the ECM relay. New voltage regulator. New ignition switch. Put on a different starter selenoid. Replaced battery. replaced + battery cable. Cleaned up contacts on - battery terminal. The plugs and wires arent new but they look good. Checked the voltages: 12.5 engine off, 14.1 engine on, 13.5 engine on with defroster, heater, lights on. Checked the voltage at the ecm relay and it was fine. Voltage at fuel pump relay fine. Hotwired fuel pump, it sounds nice and smooth. With accessories on it slows a little, but is still very smooth. Fixed all the vacuum lines i could find that were cracked. Fixed all the codes i pulled, pulled them again today and just got a code 40 which one site describes as (SERIES FUEL/AIR INJECTION CODES ON VEHICLES WITH DUAL OXYGEN SENSORS REFER TO THE RIGHT OR REAR SENSOR. EXCEPT: 1984-1988 3.8L ENGINES: LEFT SENSOR) and ford fuel injection describes as (Cylinder #4 Failed Cylinder Balance Test.) Anyone know which one it actually is? Either way, i'm doubting it has to do with this issue.

Seems like the more stuff i "fix" on this car the worse it runs. I still cant get the idle to settle down even with the defroster, etc. off. If anyone has any sort of ideas on fixing this please let me know.....

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

did you bother to check and clean the coil contacts?

The code is more than likely the cylinder balance test. I'd also check the plug/plug wires, injector and wiring for any damage on cylinder 4
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

IIRC the blend door is vaccuum acuated. May have a leak in the system somewhere. Put a vacuum gauge on it and turn on the defroster and see if it changes. Just cause you cant see a leak doesnt mean there isnt one.
      1989 Grand Marquis LS
      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
      X