header question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

header question

Hello all. I bought a 1987 Grand marques a few months ago. I would like to do some performance upgrades. I am planning to go HO. But I want to start with the exhaust. I know I need shorty headers for a mustang. But I found nowhere if you can use tuned headers, like ones from pacesetter (summit PN “PSM-70-1068”). Or do I have to use non-tuned?
    We all make mistakes.......... That’s why paste is edible!

Tuned? Non-tuned? Call your local Mustang guys and see if anyone has some old junk headers they're getting rid of and slap 'em in. The thing is, you'll also need the H-pipe, since the stock Mustang headers won't fit the stock Panther collector flange.

Stock Panther - 2" collector flange
    Stock Mustang - 2.25" collector flange
    Aftermarket Mustang (most) - 2.5" collector flange

So you need to make sure you get headers and H-pipe that match. I'm in the midst of installing stock Mustang headers and H-pipe on my Town Car for a dual 2.25" exhaust. It's a fairly common deal and the headers/H-pipe were free.

While you're at it, order new O2 sensors to make sure they're good during the exhaust swap. Be sure to specify you need the ones with the 16.5" wires, the others are 8.5 and they're too short for most aftermarket systems in a Panther.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat View Post
      The thing is, you'll also need the H-pipe, since the stock Mustang headers won't fit the stock Panther collector flange.
      Not entirely true. I'm running Mustang headers on stock downpipes. They go on, just not quite like they should, which means they leak a bit. However, if you're looking for a temporary setup, they work. Of course the problem with doing it that way is that you have to mount the oxygen sensors in the downpipes. You can get an oxygen sensor repair flange (basically a nut), drill a hole in the pipe, and weld it on. Also, you have to egg out the bolt holes in the pipe flange since the header studs are a bit further apart, but that's no big deal.

Overall, it's not ideal, but it does work.

Attached is a picture of how the match is between the header and a stock downpipe. There isn't much overlap, and like I said, they leak a bit, but not horribly.
      Attached Files

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Well, being fully honest here, adding headers in front of the stock exhaust is pretty much a waste of time. The manifolds aren't the big restriction, the problem is in the stock mufflers and over-axle pipes.

I also wouldn't get worried about using large headers on stock or un-ported HO heads. The ports on the side of the heads are not that large, and bolting a big header up to them will not provide any real gains over stock Mustang headers.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sorry, I did not say. I am going to replace the hole exhaust system. no cats, h-pipe, and flowmaster muflers. I still do not know if tuned headers will fit.

Comment

I am sure equal lenth or "tuned" headers will fit, but be a total bitch to change the plugs.

I would go with a good Off-road H or X pipe, and it's pretty easy from there
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Again, don't waste your time on expensive headers.
              2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Mustang shorties, Mustang H-pipe (O/R in your case), and a 94-96 Impala catback exhaust. That is all you need to get a decent dual set up for your car.

Packman

Comment

Freshmeat, I wish there were some mustang guys around, but we have Q-tips everywhere. So I am forced to buy new.

Packman, Would not think using cat-back for a impala would work, thanks for the info

Comment

The Impala tailpipes fit quite nicely. Its sort of neat, especially since getting large pipe mandrel bent like the stock tailpipes is pretty difficult most of the time.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

When I get paid and feel like doing it, I'm gonna try a set of longtubes at summit that could work

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Originally posted by AudioPro View Post
                        Freshmeat, I wish there were some mustang guys around, but we have Q-tips everywhere. So I am forced to buy new.
                        I have an extra set of (stock, stamped steel) Mustang headers laying around. If you'd guarantee you'll use them, I'll ship them to you free. If you'd trash them or let them rot and use new headers instead, I'm not sending them.

The offer is there. Let me know what you want to do.

If you take them, beware of brown widows.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercmarquis View Post
                          When I get paid and feel like doing it, I'm gonna try a set of longtubes at summit that could work
                          so far we know mustang and torino long tubes wont fit without modification
                          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
                            so far we know mustang and torino long tubes wont fit without modification
                            I was gonna say. Mr. Land Yacht has a set of Summit longtubes for Mustangs that he had a guy modify specifically to fit the Panther chassis, but there was still interference so he's back to his old factory 'Stang headers on a motor with near-400hp power potential until they make some more tweaks to the longtubes.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I have an extra set of (stock, stamped steel) Mustang headers laying around. If you'd guarantee you'll use them, I'll ship them to you free. If you'd trash them or let them rot and use new headers instead, I'm not sending them.
                              I guarntee I will use them. let me know what you need, thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X