Going HO.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going HO.

Alright guys, Last night I picked up all the stuff for the HO conversion minus the ECU and throttle body. Heads are rebuilt with new Valves and springs. But anyway now I'm thinking if I'm gonna make the effort why not go a bit further. The E7's are staying, but is there a bit more aggressive cam I can run? I think it's b303 or something along those lines I've heard tossed around. And for the intake, I know I could benefit from a gt40 intake but how about the typhoon I've heard about? or is that too much Intake? as for the throttle body should I go 60mm Ho or 65mm Explorer? I know this is probably beating a dead horse, but I know you guys won't mind...lol. Also when I have the transmission apart for the HP shift kit should I install the govener supplied with the kit?

thanks in advanced, Dave
    Resident diesel addict

B cam doesnt have a whole lot below 2 grand. Im running one but my car isnt a daily driver. Definitly need a new converter or gears or something with it.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

the alphabet cams are old school, there are much beter cams out there for the money.

But if you want to stay all ford, then I would go with an explorer cam, explorer intake, and explorer Intake.

As far as the typhoon, I have one on my 347 stroker in my Mustang.

Also, I would go with a new set of gears, either 3:55,3:73, or 4:10's with a posi unit.

And yes I would change the govenor as well while its apart.

Comment

Gears are a given. How do you like the typhoon? What cam would you suggest? Also should I change the Torque converter? if so to what specs?
        Resident diesel addict

Comment

The B cam isn't good in a big heavy car like a Panther. Go with an E cam at least.

Colin is running an E303 cam in Magna, and so far it's doing just fine.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

do you have the money for a mass air conversion and tuning?
            if no stick with the ho cam or the explorer cam......i have some speed density ecm's

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yep, I gots an Ecam...pulls nicely...but if you're going to keep EFI, you will need to convert to Mass Air Flow.
              like Scott said...
              I would get an HO or explorer Cam and get some 1.7 or 1.72 Roller Rocker arms...that woudl be good for a mild build.
              sigpic
              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Alright I'll stick with the mystery cam I have. For now.
                Scott what would you want for a SD ECM? With the 1.72 rockers I won't run into any clearance problems will I with the lopo pistons?
                Resident diesel addict

Comment

Stock HP or a Explorer cam. I'd lean to the explorer. I did not like the HO cam. 60mm TB and stock intake is fine.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I agree with the others. Get a decent exhaust on there first before you do a cam swap, it'll benefit it much more, and when you decide to build up the motor further in the future, your exhaust will already be in place to support it.

For a cam, I just remembered somebody mentioning that '93 Thunderbird 5.0's got the Mustang Cobra cam, which has a slightly more torque-biased grind. I don't know if it would be worth it when you can just get an Explorer cam, but I figured I'd mention it.
                    Nick
                    88 Colony Park LS
                    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

1.72's will be OK with a stock cam, and aftermarket will be pushing it. And a mystery cam isn't a good idea to toss in either, that's just asking for trouble

Comment

unknown camshafts = unknown problems. Its possible it won't be SD friendly, or have a power profile thats absolute shit for a big car. Might not even clear the pistons properly. Unless you know 100% what it is, its pretty much scrap metal. If its a B cam, its definitely scrap, those things suck.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well it's a mystery only because the guy I got it from believed it was stock. But when he pulled it from the block it has a odd stamp to him I guess. But he said it ran in the same motor as the heads and as far as he could tell it was stock. He thinks it may have been a stock replacement. said he would try to find out for me from the buddy of his who sold him the motor. Whether or not he will is another question.
                          Resident diesel addict

Comment

Well, I'd get the number off it and look it up...

Comment

I like my b cam now that I regeared to a 4.10. But its a high rpm cam. Not good for a dd. Shit my car does donuts now with 32" rear tires. Stock headed. That will be fixed before I drive it again though.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS
                              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
                              X