'91 GM - erratic idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 GM - erratic idle

Erratic idle started up a week ago when this frigid weather started. No real pattern to it, just happens every now and then. I've put on a new IAC valve, reset the ECM, and cleaned the throttle body. Still has the erratic idle. I turned the throttle adjustment screw up 1/2 a turn. Went over the vacuum lines, too. Didn't pull codes. Too damn cold out.

Can someone remind me ... when you unplug the IAC sensor wires, what is the car supposed to do? Stumble? When I unplug it, the idle does not change.

im pretty sure its suposed to stumble

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Put the code reader on. Only two codes come up for thermactor errors (emissions system is disconnected), otherwise it's clear. I'm thinkin' it has something to do with the cold weather 'cause it ran great when it was nicer out. Either way, I'll just drive it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962 View Post
        when you unplug the IAC sensor wires, what is the car supposed to do? Stumble? When I unplug it, the idle does not change.
        it supposed to stumble and die.

Comment

If the screw is set too far up, it won't die. It should if the throttle stop is set properly, and the IAC is good though.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X