tensioner pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tensioner pulley

I have two questions regarding the 5.0 tensioner in my '88 Town Car.

1. How the HELL do I replace this? Do I have to buy an entirely new assembly, or can I somehow remove just the pulley? We couldn't find any mention of a replacement tensioner at my job, a parts store. I haven't gone to the dealer just yet but that's my next stop if I can't replace just this pulley. I have the tensioner assembly off the car and it doesn't look like there's any way to get the pulley off the bracket. It's pointless to replace the bracket too because it's not the steel that's bad, it's the damned bearing.

2. Will a Mustang tensioner assembly fit? I see these all over the place, even polished stainless and billet aluminum ones. I wouldn't mind replacing this lousy one with something nice like that.

1. If the pulley is riveted on, no. If it is bolted on yes. (obviously means can replace just pulley if)

2. No, completely different setup.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

What Mike said - all non-HO belt tensioners I've seen have always been the riveted type, the bolt-on pulley is an aftermarket replacement piece that requires a new steel plate too.

Comment

Tensioner assembly is held in with 2 bolts. The one on the back side you loosen to adjust, and one of the ones on the ac compressor. Remove those and the whole mess comes off. SOme have a bolt-on pulley, some have a riveted one. If its riveted, you need the whole assembly. Expect stupid looks, and expect to be given just the pulley itself. I've gotten aftermarket ones before, they do exist. If you can get a Motorcraft one, they're the best. The idler pulley is metal instead of the plastic crap the other ones.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well son of a bitch, I guess mine's riveted... although it doesn't look riveted to me, it looks more like some really small tack welds. If the thing was bolted on then this thread wouldn't exist because bolts speak for themselves. Guess I'll have to stop by the dealership some time...

Comment

well that, or not run the A/C belt till summer :p

Comment

Working...
            X