carbs and emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbs and emissions

so i might get a 351 and instead of making it EFI id go carbed to make it fit under the hood and to just learn some stuff bout carbs.

now everything ive heard pretty much oints to me not passing inspection for emissions. is there any way to get it to pass or am i limited to EFI to get it to pass? this kinda falls into the same bout if i use a 302 as well. yea id be converting to carb but it might turn out cheaper for me then going EFI.

If you just have a sniffer test like we do you can easily put a 4bbl carb on, 4bbl smog intake, and an egr plate an valve. You are limited in choices of intakes. I think edelcrock offers intakes with smog passages. Get some new cats and if you have the timing and carb set up right you will pass.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Yes its possible, no it won't be easy. Its a pretty sure bet that what is optimal for emissions is usually pretty far from what is ideal for performance. The cam selection is going to be limiting as well, no lumpy cams with lots of overlap, etc. Catalytic converters will help a lot for HC emissions. Exactly what kind of tests do you have to pass, and do you know someone that can get you a sticker?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i live in massachusettes so they stick the probe in the tail pipe for pre obdII cars and do the dtno runs. they mihgt be getting rid of the dyno runs so i may be fine by the time i get a motor togehter but for now ill act like its still gonna be around. ive heard that you can lean out the carb to pass too.

Comment

When it's lean, other things they test for increase. It's a fine line. If you leave the smog stuff (smog pump, cats, EGR) you can use those to burn the crap off in the tails. I've used the smog pump to my advantage on my older carb cars.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

if you lean it out, usually the Nox emissions rise i think, Its been a while since I was concerned with emissions. I have collector tags on my car and dont have to have it tested.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
            My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

lean runs the cylinder temps up, so you get higher NOx. The EGR works by cooling the cylinder temps down, which reduces NOx.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the only other thing i could think of doing is using an A/F gauge on the 02 and try to put it around 14:1 or 15:1 and see if itll pass emissions then and later i can rich it up if i wish.

thats the big thing though is by leaning hte mixture you run the combustion temps up and get NOX problems which you can fail for and you also risk detonation which aint good eihter.

Comment

Working...
                X