Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator

1982 Country Squire 302 carb. Ok, I posted some questions in the past in reference to my charging system. I was able to get answers and get the problems fixed, so thanks everyone. Here is the thing. According to the forum I have a the rare and crappy alternator. The one with the positive post on the back and the plug on the side for the regulator. Many members have advised switching to a 3G. I want to do that..... I was woundering if anyone has instructions on how to do that with out modifing mounts. I want to bolt one right in? I dont want to pull one from the bone yard, so does anyone have a part number I could use so I can buy one, or a particular vehicle year make and model I can use to get one from a parts house. also, Is the 3g internal regulated. I am TIRED at looking at all these stupid wires running to the regulator. If it is internal, does anyone have a diagram to convert the charging system from external to internal??
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

PICS

Here are pics od the alt and how its mounted.
    sigpic

Comment

PICS

Here are pics od the alt and how its mounted.
      Pics wont load sorry
      sigpic

Comment

if you have the 100amp exreg alt, you should have the large bracket and be able to bolt a large case 3G right in. Wiring it is a snap, I havent done it myself yet though...
        Yes 3G is internal regulated, the main fat wire is almost the only one you need
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Its not necessarily rare, its just old. All 1979-1985 cars had external regulators. You'll need to measure bolt hole to bolt hole on the alternator. There were 2 different sizes, depending on the alternator itself. If its the 100 amp, you need one from a 90s 3.8 Taurus. If its the 60 amp, you need one from a 92+ 3.8 Couger, Tbird, Mustang, or 94-95 Mustang 5.0. 92-93 Couger or Tbird 5.0 will also work.

The new type alternator is internally regulated. COnverting is pretty simple. Locate the green/red wire on the existing regulator, and seperate this out. All the other wires on the regulator can go away. You will need the regulator plug for the new type alternator, its a small 3 pin plug with a white/black, yellow, and green/red wire. Connect the regulator's green/red to the original one on your car. Connect white/black to the small connection on the side of the alternator. If you snag a plug off a 3g car, it will already have the right connector. Connect the yellow wire to the output stud on the alternator. Connect a 4 gauge wire from the output stuf of the alternator, through some sort of fuse or breaker to the starter solenoid. Tauruses have a 175 amp fuse on the side of the power panel that is perfect for this.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Anyone have a diagram??
            sigpic

Comment

OK, I have the large bracket from the top of the alt to the intake manifold. Does that mean its a 100 amp?
              sigpic

Comment

the 100amp bracket I pulled didnt have a bar, but I wouldnt conclude anything just yet.
                Ive noticed some irregularity in panther bracketry that doesnt add up...

I think you can tell them apart with the rear(65)/side(100) charge post difference, along with relative size
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

the 100 and the 65 both had a bar from the alternator bracket to upper intake, but its installed differently. the 65 has a bolt from the top, the 100's bar has a stud on it, and it bolts through the end of the alternator slot if memory serves correctly. Possible its just missing, or early ones didn't have it.

the 65s should have the field and stator connection on the back, 100 is usually a 2 wire plug on the side. Really you need to measure it bolt hole to bolt hole to figure out which alternator you will need. One is 7" bolt to bolt, other is 8" I think.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X